FURIOUS with SuperPetz in Troy, Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

coastergirl946

Hatchling Member
I went in there a little while ago to look at some reptile supplies. I saw 3 adult dragons on display.
There were two older dragons together in a 20 gallon long tank, with a food dish full of carrots (heard that excessive carrot isn't good for them.. hypervitaminosis?). They were both very lethargic and kept closing their eyes. They were also both shedding. One was slumped over the food dish with its eyes closed. :(
The third one I saw really upset me. It was a very active male with retained shed in a LARGE BIRD CAGE WITH WOOD CHIP SUBSTRATE. He also had a food dish full of carrots, and a dirty water dish. :banghead: He saw me and puffed his beard out, and started going nuts trying to get out of the cage. He was climbing the sides of the cage and falling hitting the floor. He even came right up to me at one point and had his front legs on the outside and looking right at me. He was begging me to get him out of there.
I saw that all three of these dragons were priced at $149.99!! I asked them if they really wanted that much for these dragons and the guy said yeah and kept sweeping. I informed him that a tank would be better to hold the beardie's heat and that wood chips were not good for them as they cause impaction, and that the other two looked lethargic and were probably sick. He blew me off and kept sweeping. :angry5: I lied and told them I was going to purchase a reptile until I saw how horribly they were housed and said I was notifying the authorities as I left. I probably shouldn't have told them that, but I'm hotter than a dashboard in August right now.
I was so tempted to grab the 2 lethargic dragons out of their tank and run :lol: but I don't have a setup AT ALL.

Please, what can I do to help these dragons or at least report the store to the proper authorities so that they are well taken care of? I know I shouldn't have gone in there, but this is just awful. They house every single reptile (iguanas, anoles, snakes) on wood chips and house several together at a time. I desperately need to know who I should contact to see that these reptiles get a better life.

If anyone would like to help me, here is their contact:
SuperPetz
1490 W Main St
Troy, OH 45373
(937) 339-7398

sakasuvaki

I have run into situations just like this...and I totally understand your anger. :angry5: I've stayed up all night wondering what I should do about the situation. One is I will never support their store by buying anything, the other is I REALLY think you should report them to some kind of animal control or something. I am sick of reptiles being sold in stores by people who don't know ANYTHING about what they are doing and then seriously OVER PRICING them so they can't be taken out of those conditions easily. It makes me sick. :banghead:

I rescued my bleeding leopard gecko from Petco in 2009...I felt so bad for her, though I know I should not have even supported the store by giving them money to save her...here is my story, I've typed it so many times I may as well link it...

http://www.forums.repashy.com/eublepharis-discussion/27833-non-rhac-related-but-troubling-need-input.html

I have also witnessed my local Petco's loose house geckos getting out of their enclosure. I found one and notified the manager, she said "they get out all of the time" and tried to catch it, DIDN'T, and said oh well this isn't the first time! I went back in a few weeks later and I found one of the geckos DEAD in a swept up pile on the floor, missing his tail. :angry5: I should have taken him and put him in my pocket that first time I ever saw him loose.

coastergirl946

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I just sent this letter off to their corporate office:

"I visited the Troy, OH store a little while ago to look at some reptile supplies. I saw 3 adult dragons on display.
There were two older dragons together in a 20 gallon long tank (bearded dragons SHOULD NOT be housed together and that tank is far too small for even one adult dragon), with a food dish full of carrots (excessive carrot isn't good for them and causes hypervitaminosis). They were both very lethargic and kept closing their eyes. They were also both shedding. One was slumped over the food dish with its eyes closed and barely breathing.
The third one I saw really upset me. It was a male with retained shed in a LARGE BIRD CAGE WITH WOOD CHIP SUBSTRATE. This is completely unacceptable housing. Cages do not hold heat properly, and wood chips cause deadly impaction. He also had a food dish full of carrots, and a dirty water dish. He saw me and started going nuts trying to get out of the cage. He was climbing the sides of the cage and falling hitting the floor. He even came right up to me at one point and had his front legs on the outside and looking right at me. He was begging me to get him out of there.
I saw that all three of these dragons were priced at $149.99! I refuse to pay that much money for a sick or badly cared for reptile! I asked them if they really wanted that much for these dragons, and the employee said yeah and kept sweeping. I informed him that a tank would be better to hold the beardie's heat and that wood chips were not good for them as they cause impaction, and that the other two looked lethargic and were probably sick. He once again blew me off and kept sweeping.

Every other reptile was also housed on wood chips, and several were kept together: three iguanas in one tank and four anoles in another. Reptiles are solitary animals and the way that these pets are displayed is detrimental to their health. Care sheets are readily available on the internet, therefore this sort of neglect is simply not acceptable. Here is a great care sheet that MUST BE followed: http://beardeddragoncaresheet.weebly.com/index.html
If this store's situation is not rectified, the ASPCA will be informed."

In fact, I'm reporting them to the ASPCA as soon as I'm done typing this. I'm also posting a link to this topic on Reptile Care Alliance on Facebook (I'm Angie Mumford). If anyone else wants to help me out with this by reporting, calling, sending a letter, please do. Troy is my home town only 6 miles away and I hate knowing that I'm in such close quarters with a pet store that simply does not give two flying trucks about their animals.

sakasuvaki

I want you to know how much I appreciate you taking lead of the situation and doing what you are doing. A lot of people see bad conditions and don't lift a finger. I am hoping those poor beardies will be out of their soon.

Please keep us updated on any responses.

coastergirl946

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The dragon in the bird cage REALLY wanted out. He followed me everywhere I went and would climb and dance like mad until I started talking to him. He even let me stroke his beard. I want him OUT OF THAT DIRTY HOLE and in my loving hands. I wish I had the money and a setup.. he'd be here with me right now. I have no lights, no tank, no food, nothing. :cry:

NightmareDisco

Sub-Adult Member
Email sent:
Hello,
A friend of mine was in your store this week and was appalled at what she saw. Your associates have no idea how to care for reptiles at all. You cannot house bearded dragons together and you CANNOT house them in a bird cage on wood chips. If the people you are paying aren't smart enough to read a simple care sheet, then it says a lot to me about your company. And $149.00 for a bearded dragon? Petsmart sells for $60.00 AND they look much healthier. I could buy a dragon from a breeder for less that what you are asking for unhealthy animals. I run a non profit reptile care organization, I have friends on ASPCA, the Humane Society and PETA; this girl WILL be back in within the week and if these conditions are not rectified, the law WILL be involved.

Sincerely,
A morally concerned individual

I will be calling and sending a letter to corporate

Sashee

Sub-Adult Member
Ugh! :angry5: I just got a job at my local PetCo so I can keep an eye on the reptiles. The store I'll be working at actually has the best record of reptile care and the gm actually cares about the animals. He said the calcium sand is corporate mandated but idk if your pet store is a chain or not? Pretty infuriating that CORPORATE MANAGERS of a company don't even know how to take proper care of the animals. I probably would have grabbed those babies and run. Lol

sakasuvaki

Sashee":3borpema said:
Ugh! :angry5: I just got a job at my local PetCo so I can keep an eye on the reptiles. The store I'll be working at actually has the best record of reptile care and the gm actually cares about the animals.

Good for you! :blob5: We need some educated people out there. Wish my store was like yours. The ones in all of my local stores, I just love to listen to them talk to the customers, and they don't know annnnything. It is always so tempting to stop the customer on their way out and tell them the real info.

Sashee

Sub-Adult Member
Yeah, I'm hoping I don't get fired for telling ppl the loose substrates are dangerous. Lol

Prouddragonmama

Juvie Member
I was pretty frustrated with my local petsmart today the person that they call the "reptile expert" my hilarious so sadly un informed told me the 1 young one the had was the "runt of the litter" and by his "expert" measurent it was still a juivie but close to adult :angry5: it was about 5 in he told a customer it might get a few in bigger! Told them he needed calci sand to help digest food ! Omg I fad to interject and quickly took over his sale suggested him and the people interested should go here and read!!!!!!!

Sashee

Sub-Adult Member
I intend to direct any customers to this site as well. I'm trying to read up on the reptiles they carry but from what I've gathered, the one thing I can say is that loose substrates aren't good for any reptile, I believe.

coastergirl946

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I forgot to mention that I may have opened a bearded dragon book to the Housing section and placed it on the table when they weren't looking 0:)

coastergirl946

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I got an email back:

"Angela, thank you for visiting our website and for your inquiry. Superpetz closed or sold all stores in Ohio in December 2010.
The stores in Troy, Kettering & Miamisburg were bought by the same person. They continue to use the Superpetz
name but we have no affiliation with them. The stores are now known as Superpetz Animal Supply.
I believe they have kept the same phone numbers if you wanted to call them.

I will certainly pass along your comments to management of the Ohio Stores."

BSC

People who don't know any better and go into this place would think that keeping this dragon in a bird cage would be ok.

Someone just as ignorant as the store owner would have no idea and obviously would not get any decent advice.

It's sad....really sad. But the truth is that this situation is probably way more common than you think in both stores and homes. I can not tell you how many dragons I have seen in a mini tank with nothing but an elec. heatrock inside on craigslist.

Sad truth is that people are just ignorant and don't always take the time to research these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heidib715
Top Bottom