Fungus (Just finished treatment for Coccidia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superfictious

Original Poster
Oh. Thank you. o_o Um. I don't think the place had an 8.0
Just 5.0 and 10.0

Will it hurt her, or put out too much UV?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great that she has improved for you just a bit with her appetite. The Reptiglo 10 flourescent tube bulb emits low wavelength UVB which is close to UVC. It doesn't emit the most favorable UVB rays for D3 synthesis. It is unfortunately not the best UVB light.
Keep it at 10 inches away, & for now, it will be acceptable as long as you have a bright white light directly beside it to protect the eyes.
Perhaps you can find the Arcadia D3 12% flourescent tube bulb up there? Or, maybe the Exoterra Solar Glo mercury vapor bulb?
You mentioned they had a 5 & a 10, are you talking about the Exoterra products? A 5, would that be the Reptisun 5?

Tracie

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
Hello~

Yes uping the temps 5-10 deg will help improve the immune system to fight off the coccidia. So your cool temps would be no more than 85 and at night 80-85. Your basking area 105-110. Some way you can do that: You can cover the top in spots if you ahve a screen top to help hold the heat in. Also, I am assuming that you have a Ceramic heat emitter since you live in canada? Can you put a taller rock or sorts so that she can get closer to the heater at night when the UV is off? This can help for the night time. For day: putting just a normal house hold bulb in the tank (which is recomended anyways with the lighting you have) A house hold bulb will up the temp a few deg. I put one in Judahs tank at the cool end because it was so dark in there. I have a wood top on my Viv, so I can only put a energy efficent bulb in there for now. It gets over 85 deg with a normal house hold bulb, and the energt efficent types are cooler.

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
Hi...You mentioned you were going to get a heating pad...please don't do that. Dragons can't feel heat on their belly, so could get burned & not move off the blanket. You could make a rice sock & warm it in the microwave enough so you can hold it against your cheek comfortably. Wrap it with a cloth & put her on top of it. You can wrap her & it inside a towel.

If you have loose substrate on her floor, remove that and use paper towels at least til her infection is gone. Change it daily.

Good luck
Patsy

Superfictious

Original Poster
Tracie,
Yes, Exoterra products, but no, the 5 was a Glo, too. And I think all her bulbs were. I'm not sure if there's a place in my town that supplies the ReptiSun, but I know the best pet store to call and ask. If I can't find the Sun, and am stuck with the Glo, what kind of white lite do I need by it? Should it be a tube, also, or can it be a bulb?
I haven't heard of the Arcadia D3 12% tube bulb oh my gosh lights are complicated. o_o; I think I'll call two stores tomorrow before setting out-- and ask all the UVB bulbs that they carry. Something should be appropriate.
I really really need to start ordering online.

I couldn't get Lamisil --- I'd need a prescription for it. The store didn't know what Lotrimen was. I'm planning on checking at a different store tomorrow morning, but in the meantime, I got...
Clotrimazole Cream USP, 1%
Cures Athelete's foot, jock itch, and ringworm.
Medical Ingredient: Clotrimazol 1% (10mg/g)
Non-Medical: Benzyl alcohol, Cetostearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Esters Wax, 2-Octyldodecanol, Polysorbate 60, Purified Water, Sorbitan Monostearate.

Is this usable? o_O

Judah's Human,
I'll do my best to raise temps and sort out the lights. I have this corkboardish stuff I can put on top of the screen.
I don't have a ceramic heat emitter. I have been wrapping her up in the blanket at night, and putting hot water bottles (wrapped in another blanket) on each side of her. I change the water before I go to bed, and when I wake up, it's still retained some heat. She can't touch the bottle directly at all, and is separated from both by several layers of fabric.
I can totally get a normal household bulb to add to the mix, as of right now I have the heat lamp, the UVB tube, and the other light fixture that held the old coil UVB. I have extra energy efficient bulbs, but I think I'll go for a regular one.

Patsy,
I know about the dragons not sensing heat with their belly. I'd planned on laying down a large, thick bath towel folded over to prevent burns, but have ended up wanting to stick with the hot water bottle idea, which I guess is like your rice sock tip. 8]
Now I'm wondering if I should do both or something.

Thank you all for all the great help. I really, really appreciate it.

Superfictious

Original Poster
Our Shopper's Drug Mart has a product called LOTRIDERM, for athlete's foot, according to their website. Canadian version of Lotrimen?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great, that product Lotriderm will work. The product that you have now, clotramizole will work also, since it is antifungal.
Can you order a UVB light online?
Or, what about the petstore, would it have an Exoterra Solar Glo 125 watt mercury vapor bulb? If so, that is much better than the tube bulb that you have. Try looking for that one. The Exoterra Reptiglo 8 flourescent tube bulb is a decent bulb, but very hard to find anymore.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

Superfictious

Original Poster
Tracieeee,

I'll go ahead with the antifungal I've got now then, thanks. 8]
I can't order online right now, but will hopefully get my paypal sorted out in the near future.

There's two petstores in town that I can call about the lights. I'll ask for the Solar Glo first, and if they don't have that, check about the ReptiSun.
No idea what I'll do if neither store has them.

She was awake and basking when I got home, but went right to sleep when I tucked her in. Most of her greens were eaten. She also had the two hornworms earlier in the day. I'm wondering if she really really likes them, and is just holding out for them. She's 13", has a tail nip, and is a year old. What should she weigh? She was 420g when I got her, and is now 389g.

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
hi~

just to answer your question about the light bulb needed to put next to your uv strip, yes just a regular house hold white bulb is fine. it helps them to balance the light rays in thier eyes for some reason

Superfictious

Original Poster
Judah's Human,
Thaaaaank you. That makes things a bit simpler.
I can't use the bulb yet, though. Haha. I'm looking for a fixture for a 15" or 18" bulb. I have the 18", but could swap it at the store. Wal-Mart didn't have one to fit. I'm about to get on the Home Depot site, to check their stuff. We have one by my workplace.

She ate THREE huge hornworms today. I'm starting to think nothing is wrong with her appetite, and she knows that if she stops eating, I'll get freaked and give her the good stuff.
I'm looking at getting Dubias. Hopefully she'll love them as much as the big greenies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great, it sounds like she is getting a little bit more active & is eating a little bit now.
Maybe you will be able to find the Solar Glo possibly. Or they could order it for you perhaps.
I hope that you found a light fixture at Home Depot, it can become a pain to find the right sized one sometimes. Keep us posted on your girl.
How is her skin looking?

Tracie

Superfictious

Original Poster
Tracie,

Yes, she is. I'm certainly happy for it.
One of the places in town had the Solar Glo. It sounds like such a good light, but it's pretty expensive.
I'm wondering, if you get one, how long before you need to replace it? And what other lights do you need to use with it?
I found a thing at Home Depot. It's an 18". If my bulb fits it, great. But. My bulb was 30. This light fixture? 20.
So... there's the $50 the Solar Glo costs. I think I'm returning the Glo.

Her skin is seeming better. Her back feet were getting to be pretty grungy, especially between the toes. She doesn't like me poking at them with Q-Tips, but I cleaned them and then gooped them with anti-fungal. I think they're looking better already.

I'll be able to treat her in the morning tomorrow, and the evening.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh so you found the Solar Glo? It should last around 10 months or so. YOu can use just a regular flourescent coil bulb (energy saver) or a long flourescent NON UVB, just to brighten up the tank & balance out the light spectrum in the tank. So you should be set on lights for awhile if you invest in this one now.
I am glad that you found it though, that is great. The price pretty much evened out then after returning the Reptiglo 10 then.
So her skin is looking better already? Wow that is great to hear. Continue with the daily treatment & it should really help alleviate all of that fungus I hope.
Keep me posted.

Tracie

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
Hi~

I have a Solor Glo, they only last 6 months 7max. I accedently left mine in for 9 Judah was getting slower and slower wantign to sleep, couldn't figure out why thought he was wantign to start bromating. It was around august, thought I had put the new bulb in Feb. turns out it was Dec. I changed it right away and he perked right up.

I also use just a house hold bulb at the opposite end of the tank for more light and a ceramic heat emiter in the center for heat. Now the MVB emmit some heat as well, but you can also use a hologen bulb or basking bulb for heat and extra light, so you would only have 2 fixtures on top rather than 3. I get my Merc bulbs on line at reptilesupply.com if you buy 2 they are i believe $38.00 (but that is us funds so in Canadian that maybe $50 :? )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom