Funds???

Status
Not open for further replies.

john6six

I am sure this isn't what you want to hear, but perhaps you need to seriously consider selling some of your pets. You are saying you can't afford to feed what you have, but you have 4 more on order? You aren't willing to breed roaches and crickets are too difficult. I guess it's just the parent in me coming out, but if you can't pick up some chores around the house and get your parents to provide your feeders in exchange, then you need to get rid of what you can't feed.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Crickets are easy to breed. Keep the tank they are in about 84=89 degrees. Keep the humidity up a bit in the tank or tote with some egg crate. Put a breeding box in the crate with them, a low bowl or plastic container, fill with eco earth or coconut fiber and keep it wet, not soppy wet but wet..the female crickets <have 3 prongs in the back, one being a long black one> will lay eggs in it <they look like small grains of rice> then after 2 weeks move the breeding box to another tub kept at the same temp and soon you will see little tiny crickets.

diver165

haley7204":jan5tbmu said:
Okay. Well breeding crickets I know is difficult and I am not going to do roaches...Any ideas of what I should do?

Dubia roaches! Crickets smell like death and die too easy. Dubias rock. Once you get a colony established you can feed off the colony and even sell off the extras. Ditch the meal worm idea with Beardies. They really aren't good for them. As for Dubias out running special needs dragons, just put the dubias in a plastic cup. Shake them and swirl them round and round. You can dump them out in your hand or into a dish and they won't go anywhere. My beardie, Elvis, will eat them right off my hand. If you're squeamish (which I doubt) you can dump them into a shallow dish. Dubias can't climb slick surfaces and will stay in the dish. They really are perhaps the perfect feeder insect.

As for making money....get a job. LOL, mow lawns, rake leaves, walk dogs, pet sit, you name it.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I have never had a problem with my crickets smelling bad..I keep the tank clean and keep fresh veggies and calcium water in the tank for them. Change out the egg crates once a week.

haley7204

Original Poster
john6six":2afskbuq said:
I am sure this isn't what you want to hear, but perhaps you need to seriously consider selling some of your pets. You are saying you can't afford to feed what you have, but you have 4 more on order? You aren't willing to breed roaches and crickets are too difficult. I guess it's just the parent in me coming out, but if you can't pick up some chores around the house and get your parents to provide your feeders in exchange, then you need to get rid of what you can't feed.
I do have the money. I just ended up getting about 75% gift cards when i needed cash. I just needed some ways to get through my first breeding season.

haley7204

Original Poster
Okay I was hoping to stick to one type of insect. I wanted to get out of crickets(except for my baby pictus) and my auntie will not do the dubia roaches in her house(the location of my reptiles). I figured worms would be the best option. I know there are varieties out there so any ideas? I just need to get through one breeding season-that's why I ordered more leos. Btw I have a job dog walking and I will put up an add for pet sitting when I don't have to leave on weekends.

Galactic

Not trying to be a debby downer, but maybe you should either get a better job or adopt out some of your reptiles. If you cant afford to keep them then they would be better off with someone else. Its not what you want to hear but its what's best for your animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom