Fruit Flys in Dubias

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandonforty2

Juvie Member
I have a huge fruit fly problem in my dubia colony. What are some ways I can get rid of them? I have them isolated to just the dubia bin. I tried putting traps in the bin but the roaches got into them. I have also started trying to clean it every day. There are also a lot of maggots in it.
So what is yall's suggestion to getting rid of the fruit flys? Thanks.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
What do you have in the bin? Pests are usually attracted to moisture or rotting food, they love damp frass.

Brandonforty2

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I think it is fruit flys and their larvae. It is pretty moist in there because I put way too much water gel in it but I am working on drying it out.

Also, would it be safe to feed the roaches to my bearded dragons or would the fruit flys make the dragons sick?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I've not had fruit flies but have gotten phorid flies in my bin from when the roaches dumped their water out - had to do a deep clean and take everything out.

You can make a trap for the flies (if they are fruit flies) by using a glass of apple cider vinegar with plastic wrap on the top. Punch some holes in the plastic and they will go in after the vinegar. It won't stop them but might help keep the number down until the life cycle is interrupted.

The fruit flies shouldn't make the dragon sick.

Brandonforty2

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I've tried making traps but when I put them in the roach bin, the roaches got into the traps. I put the traps around the house and got a lot of fruit flies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaineyPoo
Top Bottom