Frozen vs. Fresh Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

purplepog

Has anyone used the frozen variety of collard greens, mustard greens or kale? I've been using fresh forever, but today I ran across these in the frozen aisle. I bought one bag of collards and took them home to inspect. They are already cut up really fine, and if a touch of hot water is added, it only takes them about 15 minutes to thaw. I've been having problems getting fresh greens lately (I live in a small town w/a little supermarket) and thought this might be an option. Does anyone use these regularly...or does anyone know if frozen greens are as nutritious as fresh as long as you don't cook them?

diggerdrake

Juvie Member
freezing like cooking will deplete some of the nutrients but as an option I would think that they will suffice since fresh are hard to obtain. I would stick with the staples and see if they are readily accepted by your beardie.

purplepog

Original Poster
They actually ate these better than the fresh ones I've been getting lately. I think I'll use these until the greens at the store look better.

purplepog

Original Poster
If you let them thaw on their own, they don't get super soggy...but they are wetter than fresh greens that have been washed. But my guys loved them, and they don't stink up my fridge after 2 days. Plus they are already chopped super fine, I'm quite excited about finding them.

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
I wouldn't use them just because I have fresh readily available, and am able to keep them fresh for about 2 weeks in my fridge.

But since you don't have fresh readily available then I don't see why these wouldn't work, so long as they're not cooked before being frozen by the manufacturer.

LJean

Extreme Poster
I too can get fresh greens easily enough. But I haven't bought any fresh spinach in a long time and happen to have a bag of chopped frozen. I think I will defrost a bit and see if Calypso will eat some.

PS. You can always just add a bit of fresh veggies to go along with the greens. :)

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
Freezing vegetables and greens and then thawing it out destroys vitamin B1, or thiamine. If you like, you can add a little crushed up vitamin B1 tablets. Just sprinkle lightly over the greens.

purplepog

Original Poster
I was wondering what vitamins and/or minerals would be lost by the freezing/thawing process. But the only supermarket in my town only sells fresh lettuces and spinach for greens, which we all know we shouldn't use as a staple. So Wal-Mart supercenter 45 minutes away is my next best bet, but their collards, mustard and kale greens only get ordered once a month (I asked since mine were rotting so quickly) And the past month, they've been dried up and wilted or completely mushy even when they first come in. So I guess I need to weigh which is going to give the kids the most nutrients.
I'm going to keep going to the Supercenter the days they get their produce in- and if the fresh looks good, I'll get it, but if not, I know I'll have a decent staple in the freezer that I can add a supplement to and be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthPenumbra
Top Bottom