From glass surfing to not eating

Lumber girl

Original Poster
Hello all, I've got a beardie that is 13-14 months old. We've had it for a year. About a week ago, they started to glass surf and the appetite decreased. We've covered any glass areas in the enclosure to make sure there aren't any reflections causing aggression, but it's not helped. Taking them out seems to work as far as the aggression is concerned, but it returns once they're back in the enclosure.
Now we are to the point that they aren't eating at all. Seems sleeper than usual, tiniest bits of poop once per day in the mornings. Some of it looks stringy...I fed baby food pumpkin and repashy gel thinned out by syringe, but not much is changing. Waiting for vet appt in 4 days, want to do the best we can. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello all, I've got a beardie that is 13-14 months old. We've had it for a year. About a week ago, they started to glass surf and the appetite decreased. We've covered any glass areas in the enclosure to make sure there aren't any reflections causing aggression, but it's not helped. Taking them out seems to work as far as the aggression is concerned, but it returns once they're back in the enclosure.
Now we are to the point that they aren't eating at all. Seems sleeper than usual, tiniest bits of poop once per day in the mornings. Some of it looks stringy...I fed baby food pumpkin and repashy gel thinned out by syringe, but not much is changing. Waiting for vet appt in 4 days, want to do the best we can. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Please go over the surface basking temps they should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - stick ons are inaccurate-- UVB is it a coil or a long tube fixture - coils are inadeqaute and will cause all kind of health issues including what your describing-

Lumber girl

Original Poster
Please go over the surface basking temps they should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - stick ons are inaccurate-- UVB is it a coil or a long tube fixture - coils are inadeqaute and will cause all kind of health issues including what your describing-
Thank you for responding. I have a digital IR surface thermometer and it reads different than the probe that we've got---not sure the probe is functioning properly, but when I checked the basking temp earlier, the IR thermometer read 111 and the probe was 95. We've got the Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 uvb T5HO 39W 34" (tube) with 2x 75w arcadia bulbs for basking suspended from inside.

I measured the distance from the bottom of the basking bulbs/end of the uvb tube to the rock we have in the basking spot and its 18", not sure if that's too high. Just can't figure out what's going on since we've had this setup for several months and this is the first we're seeing any issues.

I really appreciate your advice. Thank you.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you for responding. I have a digital IR surface thermometer and it reads different than the probe that we've got---not sure the probe is functioning properly, but when I checked the basking temp earlier, the IR thermometer read 111 and the probe was 95. We've got the Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 uvb T5HO 39W 34" (tube) with 2x 75w arcadia bulbs for basking suspended from inside.

I measured the distance from the bottom of the basking bulbs/end of the uvb tube to the rock we have in the basking spot and its 18", not sure if that's too high. Just can't figure out what's going on since we've had this setup for several months and this is the first we're seeing any issues.

I really appreciate your advice. Thank you.
It may take awhile for issues to arise - go by the probe please -- are you getting any undigested bugs? the UVB is too high please lower it to 12-15 inches is it in the tank ?

Lumber girl

Original Poster
It may take awhile for issues to arise - go by the probe please -- are you getting any undigested bugs? the UVB is too high please lower it to 12-15 inches is it in the tank ?
We were getting undigested bugs before he stopped eating and started the glass surfing. I thought he might have an impaction since we were feeding him mealworms so he would actually ingest calcium (he started to refuse the powder and we got liquid and he would eat the mealworms right away). We will lower the light fixture tomorrow morning. It is inside the tank suspended from the mesh top/nothing obstructing it. How soon do you think before we might see a difference?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
We were getting undigested bugs before he stopped eating and started the glass surfing. I thought he might have an impaction since we were feeding him mealworms so he would actually ingest calcium (he started to refuse the powder and we got liquid and he would eat the mealworms right away). We will lower the light fixture tomorrow morning. It is inside the tank suspended from the mesh top/nothing obstructing it. How soon do you think before we might see a difference?
Right away if its the UVB-- and the surface temps need to be raised if its only 95- go by your probe please

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sohaiko
Top Bottom