Friendly Reminder...

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardedwizard

Extreme Poster
Since it's that time of year again and I reminded a bunch of you last year I figured I'd announce this again...

Flashing/blinking lights of any kind are not good for any reptile including our beloved bearded dragons, epileptic seizures are possible, but don't be afraid to let your dragon run wild through your Christmas tree or holiday wreath, just make sure there are no blinking lights within sight. It's always better to be safe than sorry!

FozzieJrandLucyontheChristmasTree20.jpg

Just a friendly reminder, and I wish everyone on BD.org a happy holiday season!

From the Annapolis Bearded Dragon Family!

Anthony

AprilMayJune

Hatchling Member
Thanks, I didn't know that since I've only had our beardies for a couple of months now.

I sure am glad my tree has lights built in it already or I would have been using the flashing strings I have from previous years.

What about the tv though? Sometimes they watch tv. Doesn't that bother them?

Lsorrent

Juvie Member
Yup, no blinking lights on my tree. But Dante LOVES it!

Playing find the beardie:
12-14-08066.jpg

Found him!
12-14-08067.jpg

He fell asleep and woke up when the lights went on:
12-14-08068.jpg

12-14-08069.jpg

beardedwizard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
AprilMayJune":3cc21 said:
Thanks, I didn't know that since I've only had our beardies for a couple of months now.

I sure am glad my tree has lights built in it already or I would have been using the flashing strings I have from previous years.

What about the tv though? Sometimes they watch tv. Doesn't that bother them?

The TV shouldn't hurt them as it's not a flashing/repetitive pattern like a strobe, or LED light... These are the worst as they are rhythmic and extremely powerful, they will even hurt our eyes if looked at directly...

Hope this helps,

Anthony

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
I thought flashing lights were bad but last Friday I took Semi to the vet and they had flashing lights on their small tree. When I asked they said it doesn't bother them but since I had Semi in a soft cat carrier, I didn't take him out until it was our turn. Sheesh, can't believe a vet would have them.

Alex52686

Now I have to cancel by bearded dragon Christmas Rave :banghead: Hehe bearded robot dance, that's gonna make a great sig....On more serious not thanx I immediately took down the blinking lights from our living room.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Ahh... thank you so much for that reminder.... me, being the uninformed beardie owner that I am, let Kazi play on the tree for a few minutes earlier in the week - and the tree has some flashing lights. Thankfully, he is ok, but I now know, next time he is out, the blinking lights will have to be turned off!

Thanks again Anthony!

T

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
:shock: looks like I have to take down Horus' mini Christmas tree :shock:

lol, Thanks for the heads up Anthony, I showed my wife this post to back up what I've been telling her.
The all night flashing lights in the dragon's den is not acceptable. I unplug the ones they can see at night before bed... I tell her, but she still doesn't listen, lol...someday I guess.

Later bro and Merry Christmas

Jeff

Daisy laid clutch #3 last night, Maggie is digging and Ginger is on deck.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Anthony, thanks for the info and reminder. I had no idea that flashing/blinking lights would cause a beardie to have seizures, but then again, if it could happen with humans, then why not beardies too.
I don't/can't have blinking lights because it'd give me migraines and nerve twitches, so Pookie's safe from that potential danger.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours!

Tatty

Juvie Member
I didn't know about this. We have a fiberoptic tree and it doesn't do this. My beardies enjoy watching TV programs with me. I own Cooper, Popcorn, and Tatty. Tatty laid 22 eggs (fertile) on November 30 and is due again probably by new years eve. Popcorn laid 18 eggs but they weren't fertile. She was a week later than Tatty. Cooper, my adoptee, loves being with two ladies. I hope everyone and all their beardie family has a merry christmas.

J.E. aka Tatty :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom