Freezing food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ectotherm1

Freezing fruits/veggies is bad, correct?
Since I only have one beardie, what are some ways to make vegetables last longer?
The Kale/Mustard Greens at the grocerie stores here is $2.50 for two pound bundles.
They're strung together like that so you have to buy two pounds of it.
My beardie is still quite small, and I'm afraid that most of the greens would spoil before I could feed them out.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Are you in the US? I've started using green bags (try googling them) and I think they do make veggies last longer. I also buy precut and washed greens because they actually seem to last longer.
Sara

Ectotherm1

Original Poster
Yes I'm in the US.
I'll check out those bags.

The store with the best prices sells the bushels, all the veggies are on an auto misting system so some bushels have soggy leaves :x
I'll shop around more though, and get those bags.

TamiLynne

Hatchling Member
Hi Ecto :wave: if the store you are going to is one of the bigger chains, you might be able to get away with splitting up the bundles. I've been doing it for around 6 months now (once per week) and nobody yells at me. :D I just jot down the PLU number (on the band) to make it easier for the cashier, and they weigh whatever I buy on the scale at the register. Saves a ton of money, space, & rotten veg. Not sure where you're located or what's around you, but I've done this at several big chain markets with no problem.

-Tami*

Momto3boys

Sub-Adult Member
Buy a Guinea Pig :lol:

I have 8 pigs so I know I wont ever have wasted veggies since pigs can eat all the veggies beardies eat!!

Ectotherm1

Original Poster
I've had G-pigs ever since I was little.
One of them was my first pet when I was five, even moved across state lines with me!
I had two of them two years ago but I wasn't providing proper care for them so I gave them to someone I know would.
Wanted another one since, but way too many pets in this little house at the moment. :mrgreen:

I've been feeding the veggies my beardie doesn't eat to the crickets.

Ectotherm1

Original Poster
TamiLynne":45593 said:
Hi Ecto :wave: if the store you are going to is one of the bigger chains, you might be able to get away with splitting up the bundles. I've been doing it for around 6 months now (once per week) and nobody yells at me. :D I just jot down the PLU number (on the band) to make it easier for the cashier, and they weigh whatever I buy on the scale at the register. Saves a ton of money, space, & rotten veg. Not sure where you're located or what's around you, but I've done this at several big chain markets with no problem.

-Tami*

I'll try that out!
I have Safeway and TOPS near my but there prices are a bit much.
The "local" grocery store has all the good deals on veggies, I'm sure they wouldn't mind if I took apart a bundle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harobuilt
Top Bottom