Free from PetSupermarket

Status
Not open for further replies.

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
I walked into this store to buy a few supplies for my dogs. I glance over at the reptiles and see this "leatherback" with A $159.00 tag on it. Horrible condition as you can see. I call over the manager and tell her that it is really not doing well and not moving. It had no heat and a UVB bulb about 3 feet above. She said she didn't know what do do and if I wanted it? Of course I said yes so she says go ahead and grab it out of the tank. They "skeev & gross "me out she said.

Anyway. It's really skinny and barely moving. I have it under some heat and a UVB bulb now. What else should I do for it. Don't think it will make it thru the night.
I've never had babies this small. :(
17315b08.jpg

ed1119b3.jpg

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
Probably be good to give it a nice soak in a bath, looks like that baby is probably badly dehydrated (knowing most pet stores). If they aren't eating insects, go pick up some squash and chicken baby foods, mix them together with a bit of calcium powder, and try dotting it on their nose.
Best of luck, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I hope he makes it, and please don't take this the wrong way, but don't be shocked if he dies overnight. Very bad shape ! Poor thing, if only you had found it sooner ! Don't soak it too long, it may be very stressful. Try the watered down baby food+ pedialyte on his mouth, nose-tip. If he licks it, good sign, but I honestly think it's too far gone. I would love to be wrong! Good for you for caring enough !

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I know. At least I tried. The store wasn't going to do anything for him at all.
She didn't even want to touch it.

LilStinkpot

Juvie Member
:evil: That lady had no business trying to sell an animal that she couldn't take care of. :angry5: :angry5:

For $160, I want to see a beardie the color of the fell flame bursting from his lips, hovering 6 inches above his rock, dropping daily onyx poops with golden urates.

Jortiz, you are wonderful for taking the little guy, and giving him a chance. I sincerely hope and pray he makes it.

mostlyharmlessnj

Hatchling Member
Oh Geeze, the poor little thing. I hope all is not lost... Like other have said, pediolite mixed into baby food feed through a dropper maybe.

I'm trying to think outside the box here, maybe, since beardies can absorb moisture through their vent (don't know about nutrients), bathing in warmed up pediolite and a bit of the baby food mixed in????????

izz

Juvie Member
This gets my gruff :evil: ,petshops are horrid sometimes.Poor little one :cry: ,mine is a slow grower he is about 11 inches and about 5-6 months,but that is crazy he can't be that small and skinny :cry: :cry: ,those people at that petshop are animal abusers :evil: .

Feed him up and bathe regularly and bump up the temps and he should have a better life :D ,i admire what you are doing so don't give up :D

wizbee

Juvie Member
I'd say that qualifies as cruelty to animals.
I have no idea who you would report that to but I'd sure look into it.
Thanks for trying to help.

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Oh that is absolutely horrible. How are things going with the baby? I would try baths and heat and slow with the feeding. Please let us know how the baby is

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well I'm sorry to report that he didn't make it. I came back in from walking my dogs and went to feed my other dragons, and when I went to check on him he was gone.
I did manage to get him to lick a little baby food and water when I brought him in but I guess it was all too late. :cry: poor little thing.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
I'm sorry to hear that. I saw this thread earlier and I had a feeling he was too far gone. Least you made his last day a good one. He was warm with a little food in his belly and most of all loved. From the looks of him those few hours with you were better than he had his entire life.

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
I'm sorry to hear he didn't make it, poor thing. Thanks for at least giving him a comfortable home for his final hours, you did what you could.

zillathakilla

Juvie Member
AGHHH this enrages me!!the way those stupid petstores treat these beautiful creatures! :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: You sir are a saint for taking the poor little guy in, and im glad that even for only a day he got the proper care he deserved!RIP little guy, you deserved better. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom