Francis not doing so well, seeking advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got Francis at the end of June of this year. I don't believe she has ever been all that healthy or happy since I got her. I was hoping it was the poor tank setup I had for a starter. I got her in the new enclosure I built (crossfire build 4'x2'x2') a few weeks ago. I was so happy that it seemed like it made the difference. The first 3 days in it it was a total turn around. Her color was bright and shiny, no stress marks at all and much more energy. After those 3 days she went back to the way she had been in the previous tank. She is almost constantly black in color, fairly lethargic, poor pooping habits (smelly, undigested, runny, only does it every few days). The only time her color changes is when she is eating crickets or when she is out running around my apartment. Sometimes she will inexplicably turn color and seem completely pleased, but it never lasts.

I took her to the vet on Monday since I felt like I had done all I could (thanks to this forum). The vet diagnosed her with pinworms which explains the poop, but do you think it could explain her poor condition as well? Pinworms seem pretty common from reading this forum and no one seems to report them causing any problems other than the poop. I gave her her first dose of Panacur tonight.

Here is a picture of the tank setup:

5060538873_a310957579_b.jpg

5061168780_d2be2b6f5d_b.jpg

That is a 36" reptisun 10.0 UVB along with a 100w halogen fixture for basking that I dim as necessary. I feel like I have tried every temperature combo under the sun. You will notice they look off right now but for the most part I keep the basking spot at 105-115 with the cool side (left) around 80-85. The cooler end has been a little too cool since the weather changed, which I am thinking about fixing with a ceramic heat emitter on the left side.

There is also a yellow spot on the top of her head that I am a bit concerned about. It seems as if it has prevented her from shedding the top of her head. I tried treating it with lamisil as it looked fungal in nature per someones suggestion here, it seemed to help for awhile but would not go away. I am worried it is yellow fungus but she has had it for several months now with no change in it at all. I do not see any other concerning spots spreading elsewhere. The vet said we should deal with the pinworms first and see if the spot on the top of her head changes or spreads and deal with it after the pinworms are clear.

She gets fresh greens daily. I mostly cycle between collard and mustard greens, with occasional squash types mixed in and sometimes switch to dandelion greens, swiss chard, etc. Occasionally I will treat her with some grapes that she seems to enjoy. She will pick them out of a salad leaving everything else. She mostly eats crickets for live feeders, dusted 4x a week with calcium w/ d3 and 2x a week with multivitamins. Her appetite has mostly not suffered through any of this. She can and does devour crickets with ferocity. The vet told me to stop letting her eat as many crickets as she can in 10 minutes and limit her to around 10-15 per day and also told me to vary it up some more.

All that being said, do you see anything wrong in my tank setup? My feeding habits? Do you think pinworms are severe enough to cause what seems to be poor health / mood in general?

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
Your setup looks pretty good. A couple of questions...
1. Can your beardie get within 6-8 inches of the uvb?
2. is the basking spot 12 inches away from your beardie?

I am not qualified or experienced enough to set your mind at ease about everything else. But I hope that by bumping this others will help out.

jesserussell

Original Poster
In the central basking spot she is about 9" from the halogen source and 9" from the UVB. If she moves to the left she is about 7-8" from the UVB and 12" from the basking. Are they really that good at thermoregulating themselves to spot those minor differences though? I probably attached and wired the light fixtures without putting enough thought in to how they would work together, so I've been struggling with that a bit in the new tank but I certainly don't think it's so far off to cause the state she's been in.

She seems a little better today after her first dose of panacur for the pinworms last night. She pooped today after 3 days, it still looked and smelled pretty horrific, but I wouldn't expect that quick of a turn around on 1 dose of panacur and 1 day. She ate some acorn squash, about 12 crickets and 2 superworms today.

I appreciate the reply, I will try anything at this point.

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
Those measurements seem ok, i am pretty sure it wouldnt make a huge difference. See how she goes once she is clear of pinworms, i am sure that they are making her feel pretty grotty. Did your vet recommend giving her a probiotic as well? Any form of medication like that will wipe out heaps of good bacteria as well as all the bad stuff and can be quite rough on their system. Soya yoghurt is great for putting some good gut flora back. You just drip it onto Francis' snout with a needleless syringe and she will lick it off.

jesserussell

Original Poster
They did not recommend that but I will pick some up. Should I be doing it during the treatment or wait until it's done?

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
jesserussell":d8bdh4re said:
They did not recommend that but I will pick some up. Should I be doing it during the treatment or wait until it's done?

Probiotics often slip the vet's mind sometimes. Soy yogurt is good, or you could get something *official* from somewhere like beautifuldragons.com . I think it's Acidiophiliz or something like that, it's an actual probiotic medicine. Your choice!

You should be giving the probiotic during the treatment, so that the gut flora balances out. This could be the cause for a lack of appetite and possibly the depression.... she could have a tummyache. :dontknow:

Let us know how she's doing! And would you be able to get a pic of this mysterious yellow spot??

Jacqui

jesserussell

Original Poster
I'm going to pick up the soy yogurt tomorrow.

This is the best pic I have so far of the yellow spot, but it's older now before the dead scales / stuck shed covered it:

yellowspot.jpg

I'm going to get an updated clearer one tomorrow when she wakes up. I'm even more worried about yellow fungus after tonight though. I finally got some of the scales to flake off that's been covering it for awhile now by moistening it every so often and it seems like it might have spread underneath it. There are other yellowish areas on her but I can't tell if they're part of her coloring or not. They don't look much like the yellow on the top of her head in that picture though, that is definitely not coloring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom