Found a Beardie on my back patio!

Status
Not open for further replies.

agoldberg

Hi everyone - I'm new to this forum...we've had a Beardie for 10 months now. Wolfgang was adopted last August as a baby for my 14 year old son, who takes wonderful care of him!!! It just so happens that this past Sunday, a Beardie showed up on my back patio in the middle of the day, enjoying the warm weather! We thought ours had somehow escaped! We have no idea who he belongs to, and have put signs up all over the neighborhood trying to find it's owner. We've even called the local animal shelter and placed our name with them to see if anyone owns him. We honestly think that a college student who graduated from the local university let it go at the end of the semester because he couldn't bring it home. How tragic! My neighbor had seen the Beardie on her lawn shortly before we caught it, and didn't know what it was. She took a picture of it to show people! Thank goodness we knew what it was, and can't believe that it found it's way to our backyard. What an effort it was to catch him. My husband and I cornered him, and caught him as he tried to escape into a soccer netting. I can't imagine what would have happened to him had he gotten away....and the weather has chilled over night down to the low 50's. He may have survived, but he might not have had we not caught him! Anyway, we placed him in a tank that we originally had for the baby beardie, and gave him a lamp, sand on the bottom of the tank, some dried bugs, and dark green lettuce to eat. He didn't eat anything until today, when I shredded up some carrot for him. He wolfed that down! He still hasn't eaten the dried bugs, but I'm guessing that whoever had him before never spent any money to buy insects for him to eat. When we found him, there were bugs crawling around the patio, and he didn't even go after them! So I'm thinking he's a pure vegetarian. What else can I feed him? Should I give him fruit? I now know about the carrots, but what else can I try? I feel so bad for this poor fellow. He's quite beautiful, very large, and a dark beard. I know his tank is too small right now, but we're hoping someone claims him. And he's very feisty! He keeps running into the wall of the tank, trying to escape. I can't imagine where or how he was kept. I don't think he was wild...how many Beardies are wild on Long Island, NY? The weather here goes from 0 to 100, depending on the time of year. But I don't claim to know that much about them, and am hoping someone will enlighten me!

Thank you!

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
What an amazing story!! First off, I would nix the dead bugs and feed live. Crickets, roaches, hornworms, butterworms, silkworms, and superworms make good feeders, although I would save supers until he is eating better. If he won't eat you can try squash baby food mixed with a little chicken babyfood and watered down. You can use an eye dropper to put some on the end of his nose and he will (hopefully) lick it off. Here is a link with good and bad foods to feed to your beardie. He is probably suffering from immense relocation stress, so he may not eat for up to 2 weeks. How big is he? Is he skinny? Pictures would be helpful!
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

Fallencomrade2008

Juvie Member
Don't continue to feed him lots of carrots, you have to find another thing to feed him because too manny carrot can give him Viatamin A poisoning. I't takes alot of carrots to do that tho. Carrots every 2-3 days is ok. Try out dandylion leaves but watch out for pesticides and cut them up like salad. Live crix would also be much better than dryed bugs. You can try live worms too. If you cannot take care of him and you have to find a home you can post him in the free section here or take him to your local pet store. you can also try craigs list.

agoldberg

Original Poster
Thank you for your suggestions! I'm trying to post a picture, but I'm having difficulty figuring it out...when I do, I will post a reply thread and you can all check him out. He's HUGE compared to my other guy. Looks like he had been well fed...but I wish I knew what it was he ate!

thank you again! I'll keep you posted!

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Upload to photobucket and then copy the img code here. There is a post on how to do it under Discussion forums > photo expressions.

Fallencomrade2008

Juvie Member
I would bet that he likes live food. None of my dragons will eat a dead bug. Even a live one that wont move wont get eaten. They will just stare at it till it finally moves. If you can't get the picture uploaded then you should just try to measure him. We can figure out what his aproximate diet should be by length. Older dragons will eat %80 veggies and %20 proteins because they are not growing as much.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hello
What a find!Ok so your on Long Island,NY then? Nassau or Suffolk? I can say with fair certainty that there are not any wild colonies of Beardies on the island however occasionally some do escape.I have seen quite a few threads on the forum lately in regards to escapees as it is springtime and they are usually full of energy.How does he look?Can you post a picture? We do have quite a few reptile shops here as well as a few reptile museums have you tried contacting them?

SPIKE09

WOW THAT IS AMAZING. YEAH THE GUY EARLIER THAT SAID TO TRY DANDILIONS AND LIVE CRICKETS IS RIGHT... I DUST MINE WITH CALCIUM FROM THE PET STORE... SHAKE N BAKE EM. I GOT MINE TO EAT JUNE BUGS AND HE LOVES THOSE. HE WILL EAT SUPER WORMS IF HE SEES EM MOVIN. OF COURSE IF YOUR LAWN HAS BEEN TREATED WITH PESTICIDES I WOULDNT FEED HIM THE DANDILIONS. YOU COULD ALSO TRY ALL TYPES OF FRUIT INCLUDING STRAWBERRIES, APPLES, HONEY DEW MELON THINGS OF THAT NATURE. I GOT MINE TO ALL OF THOSE THINGS BUT HE WOULDN'T EAT BANNAS. HEARTS OF ROMAIN LETTUS IS THE RIGHT TYPE OF LETTUS TO FEED EM I HEAR REGULAR LETTUS GIVES THEM THE RUNS.[/color]

agoldberg

Original Poster
Dear friends,

Thank you all for your advice and kind words! No more than 5 minutes ago, "Spike" was returned to his rightful owner! I am so happy! It turns out he escaped about 2 weeks ago, and had been on the run ever since! He was a very sweet little fellow, and cuddled with me today (before we got the call). I even went and got all sorts of varied greens and veggies for him to try, as well as live crickets. The girl at the pet store felt sorry for him, and gave us quite a few extra crickets for him. Now my little Wolfgang will have lots of crickets to chase after - I'm sure he won't mind.

I love a happy ending!

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
What a great story! I can't imagine how greatful the owner is that you were the ones who found him. Thanks for sharing.
Sara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom