Foster

Status
Not open for further replies.

muddboy2

Hi everyone.
I brought home Foster about 3 weeks ago....he's about a year old. I had been eyeing him at my local pet store since he was a juvenile and he was originally housed with 3 other beardies. Two of them were sold and the third died a few months ago, although from what I don't know. When I saw Foster was moved to a smaller enclosure he seemed really depressed and lonely. ( if reptiles can actually feel that way ) I decided to buy him and give him a good home. The people at the pet store absolutely loved him and hated to see him go. I know he was well taken care of there but I still brought him to a reptile vet and found he had parasites. He got some parasite meds and also got an enema since he hadn't pooped in over a week. He is slowly getting adjusted to his new home and he spends a lot of time in my huge screened-in porch basking in the sun. He's not a very active beardie but I think he's just a lazy branchpotato. He's never really been out of his pet store enclosure except when it was being cleaned so I think he's enjoying his outdoor time. I started researching beardies a year ago and have learned a lot but I'm still a bit confused about a few things. So here I am...hoping to learn even more about beardies from the people who love these wonderful, sweet lizards. I'm so glad I have Foster and I want to make sure he has a happy, healthy and long life.

barti1

Gray-bearded Member
Can you give us some info on your set up, and beardie? Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your time here!

glowgirl

welcomefish.gif

:p Welcome to the forum honey ... If I can be of help ... Just Call :wink:

Big Hug's ...... Glowgirl xxx

muddboy2

Original Poster
Foster spends half his time outside in the very safe screened-in porch and half in his 40gal breeder enclosure. At the pet store he had that walnut shell substrate ( which I suspect may be the cause of his cage mate's death ) but now he is on a reptile carpet, but I am thinking of using playsand. He has a basking light at one end of his cage with a an average temp of 95oF and the cool end is around 75-80oF depending on the room temp. Both are measured with digital thermometers with probes. He has a ReptiSun 10.0 UVB light and currently his lights are on timers for 12/12. He has a shallow water bowl ( which I've not seen him near or in yet ), a basking stone, a large piece of driftwood that he sometimes climbs, a hide box which he uses at night and a food dish for his salad and superworms. He doesn't seem to like crickets much but he devours the superworms like crazy. He hasn't eaten a lot of greens yet, but I think as his parasites get under control he will eat more...he does pick out the peas though. He's been to the vet's twice...both times he had enemas and they found a huge urate plug that was hard for him to squeeze out. Once that was gone he #2d a LOT! How often do adult beardies get a BM? I am uncertain if I should be giving him a vitamin supplement? I dust his supers with calcium powder, but not at every feeding. He doesn't seem to want to bask much and sometimes he just hides all day. I know he is adjusting to his new home but I am concerned that he doesn't seem to want to bask that much. I give him at least (2) 15 minutes baths per week and I lightly mist him once a day, which he seems to really enjoy. He weighs 510 grams and is 17" long. I notice that when he is sleeping his beard is partially black, but when he wakes up it goes away. He is very sweet and loves to be held, but I know he is not well and I am worried about him. The vet seems to think that he will be fine once the parasite meds do their job but I think they are making him ill. I spend a lot of time taking care of him and I want to make sure I am doing everything right. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom