For those of you that buy crickets from PetCo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeksoldier

I buy about 50 and feed them to Alex in an either two or three say period. I just keep the crickets in the bag until I am ready for them. Sometimes there is mushy stuff in there and sometimes it is orange. What is that? It smells really bad. Is it dead crickets that were smushed perhaps?

jeschardies

Hatchling Member
If you are buying crickets from Petco, you are spending way too much money! The Petco near me sells crickets for 10-11 cents a piece. Crazy! If you order online, you get quality crickets, first off, and you can bring the cost down to 2 cents a piece. I order thru a reptile shop who orders bulk for customers and get 1000 crix for $19.
Second, you can get a small cricket keeper that works well for small amounts of crickets. This gives you some floor space to provide your feeders with nutrients. Remember, if you don't gutload your feeders, you are just feeding your beardie more shell then the feeder is worth.
Look into some threads about ordering feeders and I don't think you'll be disappointed.
How old is your beardie and how many does he eat a day?

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
You can also order crickets online from various farms. I get mine from Ghann's. I keep them in a large KricketKeeper (TM) and feed them Flucker's Cricket Feed w/ Calcium and give them that water-gel stuff to keep them hydrated. How old/big is your beardie? Mine's fairly young and small still and he eats 30-40 crickets a day! I can't imagine spending ten cents a cricket at that rate!

leeksoldier

Original Poster
He's 8 months and eats about 20-25 a day.
I've ordered crickets from Flukers a couple of times before, and the first time worked out great. Though the second time, they all ended up dying after a few days. I put these orange cubes of cricket feed for them to eat and a sponge with water in it. So after that, I haven't ordered any more. Plus I just moved and I'm still getting all set up and what not. Painting, cleaning, furnishing, all that.

jeschardies

Hatchling Member
I wonder if the paint fumes had an affect on your crix. They are sensitive to fumes....
No worries on the explination for getting crix from Petco. I've had to do it before....Just wanted to make sure you knew that there are better options available. It took us a while to move up from the small cricket keeper to the larger one and now to our bin, but if you take care of them, they will last you quite a while. Our 1000 last almost 2 weeks between our 2 beardies. Our two juveniles eat about 20-30 per sitting though....

Regarding your question about the orange stuff with your crix, I have seen small amounts from a local pet store. I am not sure what it is, but assumed it was maybe from a food item. Sorry I don't have that answer, but any food/questionable item that stains egg cartons like that scares me about putting it into my beardies......

Good luck with the move....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom