For those looking to grout and seal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

whispersinmyhead

Hatchling Member
I have just finished grouting in tiles in my crossfire enclosure (slightly modified of course).

I have never done tile before and I must say that it went really well. I recommend watching a few DIY grouting videos before hand so you can see it done. (It helped to me)

A few small tips for those who are unexperienced like myself.
1) I chose textured ceramic tiles that are non-porous and won't need to be sealed.
2) I used PL Premium to glue my tile to the plywood floor and let to cure for two days. (I hear No More Nails will also work) They are not coming off what a hold! For spacers between tiles I used cardboard that was about 1/4" thick.
3) When it comes time to grout make sure you leave yourself lots of time. It is a messy job.
4) I chose sanded grout because my gaps are 1/4 wide between the tiles.
5) Use the DIY videos online for grouting method. They explain it better than I could. It also helps to see a few people do it.
6) I found a tile sealer that is water based made by Tile Guard (Found it at Lowes). It can be applied same day according to the bottle but I gave my grout a over 24 hours to cure before sealing just to be safe. It sprays one in seconds and 5-10 minutes later you wipe the excess off of the tiles and walls. In half an hour to an hour you can do the second coat. The can recommended 2 coats but I did 3 just to be sure. No oder and it is cured in 24 hours. To be safe I would let it cure at least 48 before introducing you beardie to it.

Also if you are cutting tiles and have nobody to cut them for you I borrowed a wet saw and it was easy as hell. I will never try to cut with a dry tile blade again.

I hope this helps a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom