For the dubia know it alls!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I am planning to try and start a colony in the next few days and I was wondering how many adults I should get. I was thinking like 25 females and like 10 males. Is that too many or too little??? Also how to u "separate" the food and water and egg crates from each other?

Oh and is it ok if I kept the bin that I will have them in in the garage as long as I have a heating pad? Or will that make them more prone to diseases?

You want to keep a 5:1 or 5:1 ratio of females to males. With 25 females, given a choice, I'd start with 5 males or so. Too many any there will be a lot of competition for females.

As far as the garage goes, mine live in my garage out here in az. You should be fine, just watch temps and humidity.

With that number, it's going to be a while before you can feed your dragon off of your colony, but it's a start! Don't overspend on food, do some redearch and look at labels, and it's easy to keep it cheap.

Ok thx. I've already done some research on what to feed them and I already found a person that is selling dubias. Is $1 per female and $0.75 per make like a rip off or is that fairly standard?

It really just depends on how available they are where you live. You might consider getting a bunch of large nymphs for cheaper, and then when they molt into adulthood, you'll have adults that you know the age of.

I was also gonna get like 50 nymphs just so my dragon can get used to dubias ( and I'm running low on food :D) But how many nymphs do u think 25 females could lay? Do they only lay one at a time?

jxl22

I hate to seem lazy. but iv gotten very confused with this whole thing.

Looking to setup a breeding container. could some give me a list of what i need and where to buy ( supplies + dubias) ? obviously cheapest way possible.

I'm going to be feeding a juv BD and once the colony is started i will be getting a morphed leo.

How many do i need for the breeding and how many would be enough as feeders while the colony is gettin its groove on.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Anyone ever find a spider in your dubia colony? I mean a tiny one. I was going to change out the water crystal dish and I saw a very small spindly little spider drop down into the bin but before I could nab it, I think it took off into the egg crates. It was just a very small whitish looking daddylongleg type spider. I took the egg crates ut and tried to find it but like I said it was really small and with all the roaches running around, it wasn't happening. My worry is that I don't want it to eat the babies cause I know there is no way that small spider was gonna touch an adult or medium+ nymph. What do you guys think? Will it kill my newborn nymphs? Or will it try and hightail it out of the bin asap cause of all the adults?

Baldwin

Hatchling Member
I have found 2 black widow spiders in my bin. The widows are common here in Texas. I inspect my colony daily to make sure there are no more and so far I haven't seen any. I figure that one spider is not really going to make a dent in my ~1500 member colony, but I definitely don't want to keep any in my colony. I'm sure it will surface again at some point if it doesn't vacate on its on because of all the bigger nymphs' traffic.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Yikes! Yeah this was just the tiny little grass spider or whatever. The clearish dadaylongleg kind so I know it's not really a threat to any nymph over 1/2 inch. Guess ill just keep an eye out for the sneaky little sob. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom