For new reptile/BD owners. Over confidence an Mistakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

LovePink74

I'm just sharing something that I just recently found out.

Like I've said before I am new to the reptile world. I've never had one, taken care of one, or bothered to even think I'd own one in the future. But In the last 2 months I've had my beardie, I think I'm a pretty decent owner.

I got my bearded dragon on July 2,2012. The day before my HighSchool Graduation. I had told a friend of mine who was wanting one for himself, and he was a former reptile owner to a snake and 2 tree frogs. I had said, they were selling them half price at the local petstore. He immediately went and bought the other, 2 days after. We considered them "related" due to them being the only ones left.

I earlier today, found out that his young bearded dragon had died today, probably due the lack of proper care, and over confidence in reptile ownership.

We've had them for about the same time. The day we got them, they were both exactly 5". Till today, his died stunted at 5" after 2 months.
Mine has grown to about 8 inches in those last 2 months.

My beardie suffered from pretty bad relocation stress, to almost dieing due to not eating for weeks on end. I had wrong lighting, and even kept him on sand. This was ALL recommendations that a "reptile person" told me at Petco. Clearly she was wrong. I'll admit to you you, that I was pretty well informed with information on keeping a beardie, but for some reason, my father caught me by surprise, and we just went along and got everything we were told to get. The excitement of having a reptile pretty much blanked out everything I really needed to get.

When I noticed his health was getting worse,
I immediately jumped online, and downloaded a ton of care sheets, looked up information and eventually ended up here. I was able to bring back my little guy from the slump he was in for almost 3 1/2 weeks.
He went from a 10 gallon to a 35. Brand new tile floors, a UVB and a basking light, which I did have but both lights were incorrect.
He went from a tiny sack of bones, to this hefty, and healthy looking dragon in about a month 1/2. I was surprised with the turn around he made.

My friends mistake. He didn't listen to any information I was trying to provide him with. The day I went to get my baby a brand new UVB light and basking light. He was with me. These were his exact words.
~ "Oh, I don't understand why people buy all these special crap for reptiles, when all you need is a light, a tank and a bottom, I'm not spending my money on that much stuff, they don't even need that much things"
He was there that day to change his beardies sand. Not bothering in removing it. He went home with Blue Peto Brand, Sand.

I asked him what lights he was using? His response
"Oh I put one of those old basking lights I had on my snake" I told him if he had a UVB light. He said "Nah, they don't need that" I addressed him, saying your beardies lacking the lights it needs, He told me "Oh i'll get them eventually" - After that I didn't hear of him for a few weeks.

Yesterday -July 11
I had just finished buying my little guy Wax worms, and finally a new digital thermometer. He loved the worms, and jumps at the glass when I go to feed him. I got a text message that afternoon from him saying.
"He's going through a sick stage" I immediately new his mistakes and carefree attitude got the best of him. His beardie was sick, and lethargic, not eating and eyes constantly closed. He proceeded to take him to the vet, In which they provided him with oral medication.
He told me they had to force feed it into the little guys mouth, and watch him to make sure he ate at night.
I hoped for the little guy to get better but, I wasn't so sure. That night He called me, saying he was heading out on vacation to the beach and asked for me to take care of the little guy for a week, I said yeah sure. (maybe I could help fix him that week) I know it ain't alot of time for progress but i could have tried? I was most scared in taking in a sick baby, and then him dieing while he was out, how was I going to tell him? Anyways, I said yeah, bring me all his stuff (lights and all). I was worried but than excited.

Today, He called me, and proceeded to tell me that I didn't need to take care of him anymore. I asked why? He bluntly said.
"He died" and laughed in the background with a few friends. I thought to myself, "gee this guy seriously did not care for this beardie's life!" I understand he went to the vet...but I would have tried harder, never mind vacation, I wouldn't just leave a sick beardie somewhere else when he's in need of meds.
He said to me "I'm done caring for reptiles, they all seem to die on me"
remember the snake? and frogs? Yeah. He's no reptile owner. He could be if he tried, but when your reptiles suddenly die on you, you know your doing something wrong. He's a good friend of mine, but i can honestly say, that he made the mistake in not caring properly for his dragon. And If he would have dedicated his time for him, he wouldn't have gone down that road.

I've spent all of my graduation money on caring for this little guy, and every penny I have, goes to buying new supplies, food, or anything I need to help him keep healthy and happy. And as a first time Reptile owner in general, I think I'm doing a hell of a good job. I seriously taught myself everything there is to know about a bearded dragons health, diet, behavior, you name it. I can help you with it.

Just so you know, that when your a little to over confident about owning an exotic pet, doesn't mean that reading a small care sheet is saying your ready for one. You have got to make sure you have time, dedication, and heart to own one of these creatures. They may say it's easy, but in reality, it really isn't as simple as getting a puppy, and teaching it to sit. They ARE high maintenance pets. All reptiles are.
Your better off in giving yourself a lesson in owning the reptile you are getting, even if its learning about the origins, or the environment they come from. Just become a mini expert in your reptile, so you know where your heading, and in the future help others with your experience and teach them of what you've learned yourself.

I just wanted to share this with you guys, because I was dumbfounded with how careless my friend was with his bearded dragon. Plus his previous reptiles, yet he continued in buying more.
And overconfidence isn't something you should have when dealing with an issue like this. That was his mistake.

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
Thank you for sharing. I'm sure you are really disappointed in your friend. It is sad how people are so care free about a living creature. I can't imagine how you were able to hold your cool. Its too bad the little one wasn't able to hold on until he went on vacation. You would have been great. :D

LovePink74

Original Poster
Thank you! And I was really, really hoping that he would have made it till tomorrow, because I would have tried to help him as much as I could.

and also forgot to add, that earlier today, as he was telling me on the phone. Before his dragon died, he gave him his meds, and for some reason, shut off all his lights all day. Because his father had said "It's too hot in there for him, let him cool down"... I don't think turning off the lights would help him if he's sicks cause he needs them. That's probably why he didn't make it through the day..

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
WOW, I mean wow. How ignorant can some people be? I did at least a month or two of research before I got Nim. I could be called an expert on how much I read. And reptiles are, like, the hardest pet to care for. I pity the poor animals who had to suffer through his bad ownership. Yes, whoever is thinking of getting a reptile, do your research! Unless you want an unhappy pet. I agree with you totally.

LovePink74

Original Poster
No kidding, I just wish some people had a bit more of common sense to open a book and read about what they're caring for. Just go over things they're gonna need, do, and buy. It's not that hard.

I've had Sonic for about 2 months now. I am a first time reptile owner. I am far from an expert and with Sonic being a rescue of sorts, I didn't have time to do a lot of research. I jumped online in the day or two before I got him, just to find out a little about what they eat and such. I found this site about two weeks after I got him and discovered many things that I did not know. His previous owner and a few petsmart employees had no idea how to care for a dragon except for the basic things. (They need food, a tank and a little light bulb) There is so much more to these guys than that. Sonic was skinny when I got him because the old owner only fed him 2-3 crickets a day. Now he gets as many as he wants plus collard greens. It breaks my heart to see that his little guy didn't make it and what little remorse he showed. I hope he never gets another animal, exotic or not.

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
I know and agree. A person has to be cold hearted to laugh about the death of an animal. I have sympathy for the smallest of insect.

LovePink74

Original Poster
I'm Glad that Sonic is getting the care he needs, I love hearing about the progress that rescued Beardie's have.

I too agree, He shouldn't be caring for anymore animals after going through a snake, 2 tree frogs and now a bearded dragon. I say, If you've haven't had any luck caring for your pets. Don't continue to get more so they can continue to die. They're living creatures and deserve the care they need. No one should laugh at the death of ANY pet small or large.

Mummapinkham

Hatchling Member
WOW!!! When i got my Harry it was a split second decision. I found him on an online yard sale!!! I had never owned a reptile before and I had NO clue!! The afternoon I told my hubby I wanted Harry he said "ok" and we left and picked him up. As soon as I got back home I took him out of his little carrier and immediately went online and found this site and a few other care pages sites. I spent about 6 hours learning what I needed and I still ask questions about certain things. Harry is a living breathing creature, whom I adore, and I will stop at nothing to make sure he has what he needs, okay and what he wants, to be happy and healthy!!! I am sorry for what your friend did with his, but I applaud you for all you are doing!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom