For anyone who has ever bred Silkworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

klak1212

Hey, ive got some questions regarding breeding silkies. Ive just got some moths come out today, and i placed them in a separate new container. The moths seem to just be shaking, sitting there not moving, and when i try moving them, their arms seem to be tucked up toward them, and they will not move at all. This doesnt seem normal, any ideas? Ive just placed a light over top of the container they are in, to try and bring up the warmth, but it doesnt seem to do any good. Some moths even seem to be under developed, as their backs seem to have the pupae "shell" like looking texture to it.

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
I attempted to breed silkies, my first attempt was just about like yours...I gave up after my second try, when I got silkies with a virus (can't remember the name at the moment...grassire???). They do "shake" though, that is pretty normal (I think lol). Did any of them turn black/brown and/or ooze fluids before spinning or during?
I'm just trying to see if it's the virus, first. I don't feed, breed, or keep silkies anymore due to it. I can probably help you a little with the breeding (I have tons of links that I had saved).
That probably wasn't too helpful...I'll go through my "favorites" and post links if you'd like though.
Abi

SherryBaby

hi there, for many years as a small child, i had silkworms as "pets". i was pretty young, so i called my mom and read her your post.
she said they don't do ANYTHING once they hatch. the shaking and sitting around is 100% normal. she said the wings are often deformed and it does take a while to fully shake of the pupae. once they emerge as moths, they mate, lay eggs, and die. they do not even eat.
hope this is helpful!

SherryBaby

PS-
idk whether you have kids, but I remember we also used to boil the cocoons after they hatched, and "made" silk from them... maybe you could find out how on the internet if it sounds interesting to you :)

klak1212

Original Poster
Thanks Sherry,

Your posts helped me a bit, im not as worried anymore about them, now that i know they hardly move when they come out. They finally laid some eggs (not alot so far, maybe 40). Some moths i even had to help escape from their cocoons because they excreted their liquid to soften their cocoon, but werent coming out. So i just got them started with a little hole, they did the rest heheh. :D

EDIT: No i dont have kids yet, im only 17

brunoboy

two weeks is perfect. Did you raise them on chow or leaves? How big did you worms get? Mine were usually -->2 2/12 - 3" long.
Where did you keep your worms?

klak1212

Original Poster
brunoboy":e0ac1 said:
two weeks is perfect. Did you raise them on chow or leaves? How big did you worms get? Mine were usually -->2 2/12 - 3" long.
Where did you keep your worms?

Raised em on Silkworm Chow. My silkies got to about 2"-2 1/2" long, and i kept them just in my room, no added heat or anything, just room temp, around 22C (72 Fahrenheit).

brunoboy

Your temps may have been a little low, 78° to 88° F is a good range. I'm wondering if this might also be something related to the chow. I raised a strain of zebras solely on chow and there was a considerable increase in the amount of stunted growth, not as many eggs, moths that failed to emerge AND a decrease in fertile eggs. The silks raised solely on leaves thrived all summer--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom