Food in cage 24/7 okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my little draco has grown quite large compared to when I got him as a baby at petco:) his body itself is 7 inches long now to the base of his tail.

Anyways, I have a glass feeding bowl in his cage that nothing can climb out ofand I offer him quite a variety, I throw in freeze dried crix, some soft dragon bites, some super worms, dubia roaches, a little bit of greens, and I add a hint of calcium dust some days and vitamins maybe once a week or so, shake it around and serve! However due to my schedule I leave it in his cage 24/7 and I re add the live feeders and some greens at night when I get home. Is it okay for him to always have food in his cage? My schedule just doesn't allow for me to feed him in two or three 15 minute intravles!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
DustinEgle":24duf46a said:
So my little draco has grown quite large compared to when I got him as a baby at petco:) his body itself is 7 inches long now to the base of his tail.

Anyways, I have a glass feeding bowl in his cage that nothing can climb out ofand I offer him quite a variety, I throw in freeze dried crix, some soft dragon bites, some super worms, dubia roaches, a little bit of greens, and I add a hint of calcium dust some days and vitamins maybe once a week or so, shake it around and serve! However due to my schedule I leave it in his cage 24/7 and I re add the live feeders and some greens at night when I get home. Is it okay for him to always have food in his cage? My schedule just doesn't allow for me to feed him in two or three 15 minute intravles!

Its okay to always have food but you will want to be mindful of a couple things.

Feeders are the most nutritious when they are well fed and hydrated. You can keep them with some salad fixings, or buy food for them like Repashy's Bug Burger. The freeze dried crickets are probably not even as good as a hungry live cricket.

Feeders can and will groom off calcium dust and it falls off easily as well. If you don't have time to make sure you are giving the proper supplements with meals, perhaps look into liquid supplements that you can administer based on how much he is eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom