Fly Larvae?? Not talkin' about BSFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

EccentricME

Hatchling Member
A FB friend was asking about these:http://www.grubco.com/store/store_product_detail.cfm?Product_ID=10 What do do you guys think? They are real cheap which is a plus, and they can be stored in the fridge. The site has nutritional information but to be honest I don't really know the perimeters for dragons.

Here is the nutritional analysis they show on the site.

Moisture, % 68.18
Fat, % 7.81
Protein, % 15.58
Fiber, % 3.46
Ash 1.40
Ca, ppm 874
P, ppm 2405
CA/P ratio % 0.363

What do you think? Any input would be great. :mrgreen:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They seem OK based on the nutritional information besides the fact that you'd definitely want to dust them with calcium as opposed to not really needing to with BSFL.

Do you know what they eat? If they are kept in sanitary conditions? If they have high probabilities of carrying parasites?

Being kept in sanitary conditions, and the parasites are what I'd be most concerned about. These are most likely used as bait correct? Which would lead me to assume they aren't taken care of the way feeder insects usually are.

-Brandon

foolsgold

Hatchling Member
Grubco is just up the road from me. While I have never bought the maggots I have been nothing but happy with the wax, supers and meal worms I've bought from them. If you have questions about how they are raised give them a call. They are always happy to answer questions for you.

EccentricME

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I emailed the company asking your fabulous questions Brandon :wink: I will report back as soon as I hear something.

EccentricME

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I got a response from the grubco people, they say they are raised on fish, they don't carry parasites and are raised for feeding animals.
So IDK when the weather cools off in the midwest I might give them a try.

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
Interesting. Much like Phoenix worms, reptiworms, or calciworms. All of which are fly larvae.

Their diet varies, the worms mentioned above are raised on a high calcium diet.

Phoenix Worms
Ca, ppm 8155
P, ppm 5355
CA/P ratio % 1.52

So they would have to be dusted.

The price looks great @ Grubco. What is the shipping cost?

EccentricME

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I check out the shipping to CA and my total would be 14 something for 500 worms. Thats about 1/2 the price of what phoenix worms would be. Sounds good to me. Wonder if dragons would like them? If anyone tries them report back, K? :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom