Fluorescent tube with 5000K+ bulb for additional light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ophiophilist

Hatchling Member
I'm sorry, I know I must be annoying people with my constant quest for the perfect lighting setup. :roll:

1. I have a Reptisun 10.0 tube for UVB, inside my 40 gallon breeder.
2. I have a halogen flood light for basking, on top of the screen top.
3. Can I add a basic fluorescent tube fixture on top of the cage with a 5000K+ tube bulb (NOT CFL) to add extra light to the cage?

Is there any evidence or experiences that regular fluorescent tube lights are bad for dragons?

It wouldn't add much heat, would it? Fluorescents in general seem not to be very heat-generating.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can.
5000 kelvin is actually an ideal light temperature and something us owners should try to get into our dragons enclosures. It's just extremely hard to find normal bulbs that can be used as basking bulbs at that light temperature.

You shouldn't notice any increase in temperatures in your tank from adding the bulb.

-Brandon

Ophiophilist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ugh, tell me about it, I spent an hour at Lowes yesterday trying to find a bulb with the right wattage, color temperature, lumens, that was not coated or a coil. I am thinking I will try another under counter light with a daylight bulb and jerry-rigged foil hood on top and see how that works. This might be the answer to my problem. Thanks!

Ophiophilist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
After another trip to Lowes, I have an under counter fixture with a 1300 lumen, 4100K T8 bulb and jerry-rigged cardboard and UL-listed chrome vent tape reflector. I tried to find a T8 5000K or higher, but they only had that in a 18" bulb - the next bump up was to a T12. Ugh, why does this have to be so complicated. :p

Anyway, it’s not showing up well in photos, but the extra light makes a good bit of difference. The cage looks brighter overall and I am finally content, though I still hope to get my hands on a 24" T8 with 5000k+.

I will grab my good camera tomorrow and see if it will pick up better comparison shots.

Ophiophilist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
With just UVB and basking :

tumblr_mnc50qwdYu1qz56kjo1_r1_1280.jpg

And with the addition:

tumblr_mncr5htIG01qz56kjo1_1280.jpg

It doesn't show up too well in photos but in person it's quite a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom