Fluffy Threw Up!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeosMom

Juvie Member
I'm freaking out here. Ok... First the basic info, right? She has definitely been slowing down and acting like she is going to brumate this year. She will eat one superworm on a good day. She lies around on her sofa as much as I will let her. It's shady there and roughly 80-82 degrees. She looks sort of like a zombie some days, but when I pull her out I first get the dragon death glare and then she perks up and it's like "Oooohhh... play time I remember this. Nice." So, I get a happy dragon. Her calcium intake has been low because she is eating very little and totally freaks out over liquid calcium. Her UV is a reptisun 10 that was replaced in late September. Her basking temp varies right at 97-99. Substrate is ceramic tile. She has a dig box with play sand in her viv, but has really ignored it since she's gotten so lazy this month.

Last week when she got her bath, she decided to drink the water. Unusual for her, but I have heard plenty of people here talk about their dragons doing this in the bath, so I didn't think much of it. After the bath she was opening her mouth really wide and making a loud honking sort of noise and she spit out a bit of water. Okay. I didn't panic. She was acting like herself within minutes after that and I figured she just drank too much or it went down wrong. Fine. So, today when she got her bath, she shocked me because she started drinking the water again. I figured silly girl just didn't remember last week. After she drank a little, she relaxed in the bath until it was time to come out. Seemed perfectly happy. I decided to put her on her basking spot and went into the kitchen. Next thing I know, my husband is yelling that something is wrong. She threw up. She was making that honking noise and spewed lots of water, but this time there were chunks of dark green, undigested veggies as well. Not a lot, but still scary. She was nibbling greens in the middle of the week one early evening because I was hand feeding them to her. I was worried because she won't eat. Now I'm thinking it was a really bad idea to do that. Maybe she's just not supposed to eat at all?

She has been sitting on her basking spot for about 40 minutes now. At first, Figment was out and black bearding and head bobbing at her. :( She obviously felt yucky and when he started that she was waving at him and covered in stress marks. I haven't seen Fluffy wave since she hit six months old. Usually he gets the slow head bob back from her. She even had her beard turned a little dark for a while (I think that was right after the throwing up). So, I put Figment back in his viv so she could relax and not feel intimidated or overwhelmed. She has completely mellowed out now. You would never know anything was wrong. Her colors look good - little darker than her happy bright orange, but nothing that concerns me. She scooched around into her favorite place on the tile and has kinda half pancaked with her nose pointing up. Just same old Fluffy now.

I KNOW bearded dragons DO NOT throw up and this is a really big deal. But looking at her right now I would never suspect the slightest problem. Do I need to do something for her? I have some probiotics, carnivore care, and critical care all in the freezer. There are always jars of babyfood around here - probably squash and some fruit right now. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Mindi

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
Eek, scary! :(
Since both incidents happened after drinking in the bath, maybe she just drank too fast? I know they can throw up after eating or drinking too fast. I'm not sure what else it could be though. :? My big guy is brumating too, and occasionally he wakes up for a day or two. I do offer him food and make sure he basks for 2 hours after eating, but then he gets a bath every day until he poops so nothing sits in his tummy while he's snoozing. He's been fine with that arrangement so far, so I don't think Fluffy's snack during brumation would have caused it (I'm not an expert though. Yet! ;))

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks guys. I don't really consider her to be brumating officially. Maybe I'm wrong and what she is doing counts. Hmmmmm.... I'm hoping Tracy or Deb will be on here and let me know if I'm better off to leave her be or to try to get something "helpful" in her tummy. She's running around now trying to work her way back to her little cozy sofa area without me stopping her.

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
I was just going to suggest asking one of them :) Great minds think alike!
I'm thinking Fluffy just drank too quickly though, especially since she seems fine otherwise. You may have to stage an intervention for her "drinking problem"! :wink: (Sorry, lame attempt at humor lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom