Flourescent uvbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seacow

Hi all,
We have a bearded dragon that we took in over Christmas (unwanted pet) and we're more than a little confused about our choice of uvb flourescent tube for his viv (he's approximately 14 months old).
For his current set-up we have an Exo-Terra Sun-Glo 100w basking spot lamp and we have an Exo-Terra reptiglo 10.0 uvb 25w 30'' flourescent tube. However whilst reading through your (extremely informative) forums we discovered that the reptiglo 10.0 can be dangerous to beardie health, causing eye damage amongst other potential problems. but then on another thread someone said it was the COIL that causes the problems. We'd really welcome any information on this as soon as possible, although money is tight we couldn't possibly live with ourselves if we were doing him damage through sheer ignorance!
Thanks so much
Sarah And Kevin

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
The Repti Sun 10.0 is what you need. It is a flor tube, totally safe, and a great UVB.
Just make sure that your dragon can get within 4-8" of it for maximum exposure.
Janie.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hello
I will try to clear things up a bit.Generally all coil/compact bulbs are pretty bad.Either they emit poor uvb or some actual can cause health issues.I believ the only acceptable one of these is the arcadia and thats only available in the UK.
Now the bulb you have the linear reptiGLO 10.0 has a different set of problems.It CAN cause issues although not all of had these issues with them.There is a way to minimize the risk and really the only way I recommend you use it if you choose to continue using it.Make sure the bulb is 10 inches away from your beardie at its closes point and also be sure to have a bright white basking bulb directly next to it to avoid issues with eye damage.
Now as all linears are only good 6 months I am going to recommend to you that when it does come time to change the bulb to go with the reptiSUN 10.0.If however you are seeing a decline in health or issues with the eyes then your going to want to switch it out immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom