Floodlights vs basking bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
We've been using basking bulbs in both our tanks and are thinking about switching to flood lights because of the price. If we switch what wattage should we use? Just a guestimate would be great.
One enclosure is 36"x13"x24" and has a 75 w basking bulb
The other is a 40 gallon breeder and a 100w basking bulb

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
I would go ahead and get the halogen floods in the same watts that your basking lights are. Then you'll just have to check temps and see what works best.

TheVirus

Hatchling Member
I'd recommend 45 or 50 watt halogen indoor/outdoor flood bulbs or 65 watt incandescent flood bulbs. The key is to use a lower watt bulb and move the basking spot closer to the bulb, not to use higher watt bulbs and basking sites further away.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
We went to Meijer and looked at light bulbs. We would only save $1-2 per bulb and we'd have to get new fixtures (we don't have deep domes). Now the problem is that in the larger tank a 100w is a bit high and 75w is a bit low. Thanks for the help, though. If we do eventually switch that'll help.
Sara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom