Flagellated Protozoa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I recently did a fecal test because my bearded dragon does not seem to be pooping on a daily basis and only poops in the bathtub every couple of days. Anyway the testing company got back to my relatively quickly and the sheet says that there is a high amount of flagellated protozoa (trichomonads). It also states that there is a pin worm egg count of less than 50 per gram. Reptile vets are very far from me and also super expensive, I am in the United Kingdom and was wondering if there is anyway for me to self treat my bearded dragon?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, you can usually safely medicate your dragon for worms, parasites & protozoans, etc.
Since you do have a count & have had a fecal done, that does help.
Panacur or Fenbendazole is routinely used for pinworms & other worms. Flagelletes/or
protozoans & other parasites are often treated with Flagyl/metronidazole. Do you have
any type of feed or livestock store nearby?
Also, you can purchase panacur online pretty easily, but flagyl is a bit harder. There is a
product called Parazap, which is a very effective but, all natural dewormer. It has several
different herbs in it to help clean out & eradicate worms & parasites.
You can also use mint, basil & oregano blended up in a greens slurry for help with an all
natural dewormer, too.

Tracie

beardedbarry

Original Poster
beardedbarry":1er3n0qy said:
Hello, I recently did a fecal test because my bearded dragon does not seem to be pooping on a daily basis and only poops in the bathtub every couple of days. Anyway the testing company got back to my relatively quickly and the sheet says that there is a high amount of flagellated protozoa (trichomonads). It also states that there is a pin worm egg count of less than 50 per gram. Reptile vets are very far from me and also super expensive, I am in the United Kingdom and was wondering if there is anyway for me to self treat my bearded dragon?
Just an update, I called all my local vets and one happened to have a reptile veterinarian in today so I went and showed them my results from the laboratory. I have been given some medicine to give him.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What did they wind up giving him? If the pinworm count is low, you might want to hold off on treatment and focus on the flagellates first and see how he feels.

beardedbarry

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1zs43pxp said:
What did they wind up giving him? If the pinworm count is low, you might want to hold off on treatment and focus on the flagellates first and see how he feels.
He was prescribed panacur, I have been given syringes to feed him with and I have to do the treatment for five days. I would prefer to do the treatment as he is quite lethargic and does not poop unless I bathe him, I have also noticed his poop sometimes contains something that looks like mucus and also sometimes a small pinkish colour to the urate.

beardedbarry

Original Poster
Drache613":2asy93bh said:
Hello,

Yes, you can usually safely medicate your dragon for worms, parasites & protozoans, etc.
Since you do have a count & have had a fecal done, that does help.
Panacur or Fenbendazole is routinely used for pinworms & other worms. Flagelletes/or
protozoans & other parasites are often treated with Flagyl/metronidazole. Do you have
any type of feed or livestock store nearby?
Also, you can purchase panacur online pretty easily, but flagyl is a bit harder. There is a
product called Parazap, which is a very effective but, all natural dewormer. It has several
different herbs in it to help clean out & eradicate worms & parasites.
You can also use mint, basil & oregano blended up in a greens slurry for help with an all
natural dewormer, too.

Tracie
I have been given panacur by the vet for the pin worms, I will definitely look into giving him mint, basil and oregano. How would I make a slurry? Blend the vegetables with some water and syringe feed?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The pinworm count was low? What is the dose of Panacur you were given?
Yes, all you would need to do would be to make a slurry out of greens, water
or diluted apple, grape or cranberry juice, along with some squash blended
together with the herbs.
I hope he is feeling better sooon!

Tracie

beardedbarry

Original Poster
Drache613":cz5rma50 said:
Hello,

The pinworm count was low? What is the dose of Panacur you were given?
Yes, all you would need to do would be to make a slurry out of greens, water
or diluted apple, grape or cranberry juice, along with some squash blended
together with the herbs.
I hope he is feeling better sooon!

Tracie
Because Barry is showing physical fatigue the vet and I thought it best to treat. I am also going to have to try harder to get him to eat his veggies, I will try and get that slurry sorted for the flagellated protozoa. While giving him his medicine he bit full force on my finger (my fault for having it there) and he cracked my nail, I did not know how strong he was. He is to be given 0.14ml a day for five days, I will then leave him for a month and then conduct another fecal test.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That will be fine then, since Panacur isn't too terribly harsh on the system. Just keep Barry
hydrated as best you can. If possible, you can try to get him on a good probiotic such as a
non dairy acidophiliz, or a non dairy organic yogurt to help ease his tummy while on the
medication.
Let us know how he is doing.
They have an extremely strong bite so I am sure that must have hurt quite a bit. Be sure to
keep it clean & have some ointment around to help with infection.

Tracie

beardedbarry

Original Poster
Drache613":1816mz4p said:
Hello,

That will be fine then, since Panacur isn't too terribly harsh on the system. Just keep Barry
hydrated as best you can. If possible, you can try to get him on a good probiotic such as a
non dairy acidophiliz, or a non dairy organic yogurt to help ease his tummy while on the
medication.
They have an extremely strong bite so I am sure that must have hurt quite a bit. Be sure to

Tracie
I am struggling to find acidophiliz anywhere in the United Kingdom. I found a website selling something called reptophilus which claims to be better however I do not believe they would ship to the United Kingdom and even if they did it would probably arrive too late. I will have to look for a none dairy organic yogurt however that is something that I have never come by shopping before, is there anything else he could have to help?

beardedbarry

Original Poster
Drache613":1s8dqa3h said:
Hello,

medication.

Tracie
I have just found https://www.reptilecentre.com/vetark-repto-boost-100g_p4010046.htm which seems to be a probiotic, do you know about it and would it work for my situation?

beardedbarry

Original Poster
Drache613":bxm00jqz said:
Hello,

medication.

Tracie
I have also just found https://www.reptilecentre.com/vetark-avipro-plus-100g_p4010047.htm and https://www.amazon.co.uk/Komodo-Juvenile-Bearded-Dragon-Complete/dp/B07GJWMSXD (sorry for three separate messages instead of just the one).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thuexedulichthailan
Top Bottom