Five year old beardie brumation question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoleSky

Sub-Adult Member
Hello All,

Every year around late August, my beardie begins a semi-brumation which eventually falls into a full brumation by late September/ early October. Generally, I get a fecal done on him but I missed it this time and he hasn't had a bowel movement since he started brumating, even with warm bath coersions and the like (there probably isn't any food in his belly). He weighed 598 grams before brumation and now he weighs 573 grams, is this too much weight lost and should I be concerned?

He began his brumation in late August and it is now mid November so I'm not sure. Generally I feel safer because he has had a fecal but now he hasn't gotten one and I'm nervous! I replaced his UVB recently, just in case he decided to come out of hiding but it's no use - he's chosen. I would be so grateful for your input on this matter. Thank you!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I don't think that is an unreasonable amount of weight loss. It is somewhat normal. Does he still appear hydrated? That could easily account for water weight fluctuation. Is his beard normal also & not dark in color?
I would just monitor him every few days. If he loses more than 30 or so grams I would give some oral fluids at that point. His weight should stabilize soon though but if for some reason it doesn't, you should take him out of brumation & intervene to get something into him to get a fecal done.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

SoleSky

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hello Tracie!

I brought him out to give him a bath today because he did look a bit dehydrated. He drank a lot of water from a syringe and I'm going to keep bringing him out to bathe him so he starts looking hydrated again. He never looks dark and is always bright, especially when I put him in the bath he gets really bright. I will keep checking his weight, although it has been a few months since he started brumating.

He looks seriously ticked at me when I bring him out. Although today after his bath he was soaking up the UV for quite some time before retreating back to bed. I will keep an eye on him and let you know how he is doing (weight wise). I will also try to do whatever I can to get a fecal done on him in the mean time because I have been meaning to anyway.

Thanks for your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom