Five to Ten or Forty to Eighty - How much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMilton

Hi,
I have a five month old beardie. I've looked at many sources to try and find out how many locusts he needs to eat, some have said five to ten while others say between forty to eighty a day.

When I first got him (at eight weeks) he would only eat about two a day but then his appetite grew very quickly and he was soon eating a whole tub (roughly twenty). He and I seemed happy with this until I was told by a couple of sources that he was overeating and that twenty a day was way too much.

So I've cut back and he's now eating between five and ten a day, plus some veg, he seems happy and healthy but in the back of my mind I'm constantly questioning if he should be eating more? As I mentioned, many sources would say I was underfeeding him and he should be eating quadruple that amount.

Can anyone give me a definitive answer as to how much he should be eating?

Thanks,
Luke

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Up to about a year old or so, they should be offered as much food as they want to eat in 10 mins 3 times a day. If you cant do 3 times a day, then at least 2 times a day and leave either a bowl of worms or veggies in the cage during the day. I used to feed Harley veggies in the morning and then bugs in the afternoon and evening. She was going through roughly 1200 baby dubias a month as a baby to give you an idea.

Five to ten bugs a day for a 5 month old is basically starving/stunting him. You want to give him as much as he wants to eat since this is his growing time and he needs all the protein he can get.

LMilton

Original Poster
Thank you for your response.

Yeah, that's what I've been worrying about - stunting his growth; but then on the other hand I don't want him to get fat which is what some people have warned me about.

As well as the five to ten locusts, I leave veg in his viv all day, he eats some but not all of it so I presume that means he's full, I'm guessing you'd suggest otherwise.

Luke

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
The veggies are good but for a 5 month old, this is their rapid growth stage so you don't want to deprive him of protein.

tbostic91

my bearded dragon corky is a juvenile and he eats like a cow, 60-80 phoenix worms a day easy.. and he still looks like he wants more, so just in case you were wondering.. juvenile bearded dragons eat alot!

Phoenix76

I am new to B. Dragons but have done alot of research. Try to judge what is right for your dragon. Mine is 6 months old and I try to offer mixed salad everyday including boiled egg blended in to it. But as for insects I feed her as much as she wants until she won't accept anymore. I figure since she is growing this is right.

Crewdog00

Hatchling Member
10 minute rule doesn't work for me. Because my BD eats 5 dubia roaches in 5 minutes and is done. Or eats 8 super worms and walks away. So I ise the feed until done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom