First time owner - lots of questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Beardies need a bright white light. Those get hot enough so you won't need a CHE. You want to have it as close to their natural habitat as you can get. I use halogen flood bulbs. You can buy those at Wal-Mart. Also if your house doesn't get below 65 at night it's fine. If it does then you want a low wattage CHE. Beardies like to cool down at night they sleep better.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Original Poster
On my way to pick up Jasper now!
I have everything for him but I have to quickly put the lights and che in/ on when I get home and chuck the decor in ( soooo hoping we make it right now as we have 36mins to get there before they shut and if we make it it will be very pushed for time!)
Still so nervous as I feel I still have so much to learn but I’m so excited!!!

cvel

My gosh, Jasper and the tank looks great. The thermostat should have 2 probes connected to the temperature dial (or at least mine does). The probe(s) should be near the basking area and the temperature should be set to 41 degrees C (according to my vet and so far it served me well). This will mean the basking area will consistently be at the right temp and that’s one thing less to worry about. Just remember to have one part of the tank a cool area, 22 to 27 C.
Yes you don’t need to have the heater on at night so long as the temperatures don’t fall below 18 degrees C BUT as you know, in NZ it can often fall below that.

Just checking your substrate is reptile carpet and not sand.

cvel

Oh, I’m also assuming you have a UVB 10 in that light hood.

Lights should be on 14 hours during summer and 10 hours during winter.

Other than that, just sit, enjoy, watch, learn and keep asking questions. Remember I’m also on the journey with you being new and all, but I know this all helps.

Only other thing, if you haven’t done so already, look for a vet that specializes in reptiles as you will be needing them in future for check ups etc.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Original Poster
My thermostat only has one probe so I’m a little confused
Mines this one https://www.redwoodaquatics.co.nz/product/reptapets-repta-probe-thermostat/ so it just goes from 0-40 ( not 41)
I wasn’t sure what to do so on googling it seemed like I tape the probe in the cool end and set thermostat to 25c and it will turn on the ceramic heat emitter if cool area drops below that??
So confused lol

The lamp is far too hot to touch so I’m thinking I’ll have to put it in the enclosure in the wire protective cage I have here as my kids will burn themselves on the shade alone
I’m currently trying to see how safe it is in the cage? And if it will melt the background I have in the enclosure?

Right now my temps are 26.9c in basking spot and 22.1 coolest spot ( I’m usually a dual probe thermometer to get these readings )

The substrate is AstroTurf :)
In light hood has this tube in it https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/Reptile-One-TUBE-UVB-10-0-Fits-All-Standard-T8-Reflectors-15W-18W-30W-Or-36W-/252767208748?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1

cvel

Ok, sorry my bad. When you told me the brand for the thermostat, I just realized it only has one probe. I forgot as I don’t use it and have my ceramic heater on all the time.

Follow the you tube instructions but keep checking the temp in the basking area. Needs to around 40 degrees. Mines 41 but 40 is fine. If the temperature isn’t showing a rise, then turn the dial to 40 and see if it works then.

Good idea with putting lamp inside to avoid burning. You viviarium looks similar to mine. Is it the Reptile One brand? If so, then it should have a black round plastic in the middle of the mesh. You’ll need a plastic round thing to connect the heater to mesh. Better to ask or you tube how to attach as it’s quite hard to explain in txt. Mine has never melted the mesh or wood. And it shouldn’t.

cvel

Oh, just realized your question was if it will melt the background :) I’m not sure, but I’m assuming not. My background is the glossy paper one, and no problems there with that.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh no worries :) Temps are still the same as before , 22ish cool and 25.8 basking spot

Your che is on the top though right? Same as mine is now in one of those dome reflectors?
It’s if I put it inside I’m not sure how far to space it away from things and if the background would be ok

In animates they have this one set up with a che inside in a cage but they don’t have the background though
The protective cage I’m meaning I have is this one
https://preview.trademe.co.nz/marketplace/pets-animals/reptiles-turtles/other/listing/1759760221?rewritten=true

cvel

Ok, I have a feeling you may need to turn the dial to 40. As it doesn’t take long for temp to rise. If your temp is still around 20ish, do you want to try and turn it to 40? Can alway turn it back if needed.

Anyway, yes my CHE is now on top of wire mesh as my son and I got burnt slightly. So I did have it hanging but never had a cage. Looks easy to set up though. I’m guessing you just need to attach the cage to mesh by wires. Does it come with instructions.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Nope no instructions at all and I can’t find anything online to tell me how far it needs to be from decor / tank sides , anything- online at all

The basking spot is now 27.5 so it’s climbing slowly , and now 22.8 cool spot are these temps not right for night time ? ... it is cold here in Wellington tonight though too
Other than the 5mins I took photos of him for he has since been right over in the cold end squished between the fake plant and the wall crammed In asleep ,he hasn’t moved at all
Poor wee guy had red lights on at night the past 9months so I think he was relieved to finally have darkness to rest since our ceramic heat emitter is black lol

To me he seems small compared to the photos of your 9 month old

cvel

Temperatures are looking better. The basking area going in right direction, keep monitoring until it maintains around 40.

Curling up in corner is expected. If he does eat for days and starts to develop black squiggly stress lines, then all these are normal. Jasper might even feel right at home and eat straight away. So exciting.

If he doesn’t eat, Jasper still needs to be mist once or twice a day still.

Don’t worry about weight at this stage but I found buying a scale to measure butter etc (so measurements are in grams) is very useful. Can buy these at Kmart, Farmers etc. Can use scale to monitor weight. Any signs of weight loss could be illness like parasites etc. But could also give you comfort. If there are no weight loss and he doesn’t eat, but seems healthy, then probably going through Brumation etc.

Enjoy Jasper and probably let Jasper be alone for a while. Get use to new surroundings, get used to you and people walking around etc.

Let me know how he goes.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Does his size seem ok? He’s almost 11 inches from nose to top of tail and he is 8months and a week old , to me he looks a lot smaller than others photos on her of ones similar ages in various threads

His light was turned on at 6am and his out of the hiding spot
No eating yet ( he has pellets and mixed veges like he’s used to but not touching them )
EDIT: 8am ate 3 flukers canned grasshoppers

He’s tried climbing the background
101427-1498557530.jpg
101427-6699712388.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom