First Time Owner Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandonforty2

Juvie Member
Misting him just a little bit maybe. You don't want to raise the humidity too much.

What do mean by can they be left in the tank 24/7?

JellOh

Original Poster
The thermometer and temp prob. I heard on a video that if you left them in all the time the bulbs would heat up the prob and then the prob old give that temp rather than the real temp. I just thought verify if it was right or not.

Brandonforty2

Juvie Member
I'm not sure then. If it is directly under the light then it might. I use a temperature gun to take the temperature. When you take the basking temp, then put it there. You could then just leave it in the tank so it isn't under the bulb.

Spike1etta

Hatchling Member
You don't need the grow light version, the regular one is $5 cheaper and you will be changing out the bulb for a ReptiSUN 10.0. The fixtures are the same......

Spike1etta

Hatchling Member
Remember it takes 15 min to get an accurate temp reading with a probe. Best bet is to invest in an instant temp gun, Amazon has them for the same price as the digital probe you want to use.

JellOh

Original Poster
Ok, is there any guns I shouldn't get? I know that with aquariums the thermometer can sometimes be cheaply made and inaccurate.

Brandonforty2

Juvie Member
You probably won't get any that are not accurate. If it is super cheap, then don't get it. You can probably find a decently priced one with a good review. I haven't heard one with any bad complaints.

JellOh

Original Poster
Ok, thanks.

About what wattage should I get for my basking light? I'm planing to get a dome with a dimmer but I don't want to get an over powered bulb that has to be dimmed so much there is very little ambient light.

Also, I've heard that you can take your Beardie outside, is this a good thing to do? How long should I stay out for? What would I have to be careful of?

Brandonforty2

Juvie Member
The bulb wattage really depends on the tank. I have 40 gallon glass tanks with 150 watt bulbs. The tank is at the right temperature and the basking spot is 100-110.

It is very good to take a beardie outside. This is mainly because of the UV light from the sun. Take your beardie pretty much if it is warm and the humidity is less that 40%. Never leave your beardie outside alone or in a glass/plastic tank. You can make an outdoor cageish thing from mesh. It would also be a good idea to get a harness. Here is a warning. Do not take a baby outside because they are small and easily lost.

JellOh

Original Poster
It's going to be a 20 gallon long. Would a 50 watt flood light be good? Or should I get a 75watt?

I will deffinatly wait then until they are older then.

Brandonforty2

Juvie Member
I have never used a 20 gallon tank so I don't know. I'm thinking maybe a 75 watt bulb. It needs to be a 100 to 110 basking spot for a juvenile. Maybe someone will correct me or you can post just that question in the lighting section.

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
I would not suggest misting since they absorb water through their vents (butt, basically) which is why if you have a young beardie it is best to give them daily soaks for about 15 minutes at a time. The temp should be warm, as if bathing an infant. You can always use a large bowl/rubber made container with a wash cloth underneath for grip (water level should be under the shoulders, always watch closely) and dribble some water down the back with a dixie cup. I thought it would be ok to just mist our baby when we first got him and he ended up terribly dehydrated. The accurite can be left in the tank, as it measures heat/humidity. Remember to place probe directly on the basking spot for 45 minutes to 1 hour for the most accurate reading. Same with cool and warm sides of tank.

You can also get an infrared temp gun for close to what you will pay for the Accurite digital with probe. I find this gives me the most accurate temps...if you choose to use a temp gun, temperatures should be taken 2 inches from the spot you want to get a reading on.

Also, just in case it wasn't mentioned, I wouldn't put a water dish in the tank at all. It will just raise humidity which isn't good and can cause upper respiratory issues and/or infections. IF you choose to mist your dragon, it needs to be done outside of the tank. I sometimes offer my boy water from a dropper if he looks thirsty, but he still gets his daily baths (just because it is part of our routine and that is where is does all his business :) ) For substrate, we use slate tile and will always stick with it. Very easy to clean and it will file your beardies nails. Suggestions! Hope they help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
617781l
Top Bottom