First attempt Fake rock - pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigg

Juvie Member
OK, so about a month ago I decided to begin building a 4x2x2crossfire enclosure, and fit it with a fack rock background. I have the enclosure built, with lighting, and thermostat wired in. Now all I have to finish in the background...

Here's what I have got so far...
IMG00045-20090223-2227.jpg

IMG00042-20090223-2225.jpg

I plan on this being the hot/basking end...
IMG00046-20090223-2227.jpg

IMG00043-20090223-2226.jpg

This... Well I am not sure any more. I think I may just knock this shelf down and create a hide on the cool side that will also allow him to climb on top and reach that shelf along the back leading to the basking site. What do you all think?
IMG00047-20090223-2227.jpg

Below is a decoration I made to test the grout/paints. a little dark but I am using a "Burnt Umber" sand textured paint on top of flat black which I used to accent and add a "Rock look"
IMG00048-20090223-2228.jpg

Below is where it may end up when all is done assuming it will not sacrafice too much walking area. this will just sit on top of my slate tiles and will be able to easily remove it.
IMG00049-20090223-2228.jpg

for the enclosure I used Oak, and stained then sealed the paints (black outside, bright white inside.

I installed a dual 36" flourescent light fixture running 1 Reptisun 10.0 and one regular tube for added light.

my spot lights are in the center pointing at the right shelf (Megaray 100w MVB, and regular flood light)

And hooked a thermostat up to a seperate fixture running a 100w Ceramic Heat Emitter in case the night temps drop below 72*

Still quite a ways away from being complete, and I am so not looking forward to all the groutting, but my BD is still only 9" and won't be moving into his new enclosure for a few more months.

sithcdw

wow that background looks amazing! I wish I was able to find thick styro when I did mine. Nobody had any. I had to use very thin pieces of styrofoam and glue them together. Anyways, looks great

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
That looks very nice! I wish I had the patience to do something like that, but I don't. Nice job!

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
Looks awesome, I am also building fake rock structures. Beardie is too young to use them now, but I wanted to have them all finished before hand.

I have two corner structures one is a platform and den for the cool side measuring 18L x 13W. The other is a staggered towering structure, with a basking platform and hollow underneath measuring 22L X 18W at it's widest. Still finishing up with these, but will post pictures when I have it all ready.

gregorydragon

Juvie Member
Wow! This looks great! :blob5: :blob8:
A few things to consider:
How will you get it in? You might need to cut it into 2 or 3 sections so it could be taken out, if needed.
On the left side, could you just glue a strip of styro along the edge (underneath) to create a ledge for a partial hide or maybe a ramp on the front edge with the back opened for the beardie to walk in and out? The rampl would allow your beardie to get up to the shelf from that side. I just finished mine a few weeks ago, but I am itching to do more. I really enjoy doing these.

Tigg

Juvie Member
Original Poster
It will slide right into my enclosure once complete as long as I am careful with the groute around the edges. The back piece was cut to fit perfectly in, and I trimed it down about 1/4" bottom and sides to make sure it will go in.

Thanks for all the comments guys! I haven't had much time to touch it this week, should get some more done this weekend, will post some more pics.

Tigg

Juvie Member
Original Poster
After 4 coats of grout, 4 coats of paint, and 3 coats of sealer... here it is!

IMG00054-20090303-2348.jpg

IMG00055-20090303-2348.jpg

IMG00057-20090303-2349.jpg

IMG00059-20090303-2350.jpg

IMG00058-20090303-2350.jpg

eyezonz

what sealer did you use, it doesnt look shiny at all, im going to do one of these soon and i want a kind of natural look and yours looks great

LJean

Extreme Poster
That looks great! I am jelous. I tried to make a basking platform out of the styrofoam but it didn't turn out to well. After all my work, I threw it out, LOL

Tigg

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Not quite sure exactly which sealer it was... It was made by VERATHANE, water based and non toxic. Most importantly it was SATIN finish. I did a very light sanding between coats, and the pics don't really show but there is a little bit of a shine, but not too much.

You can also try sprinkling some lose sand onto the wet sealer, drys very nice and holds the sand so it won't be ingested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthPenumbra
Top Bottom