Finn, Venus and Jupiter: New beardie baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spyro is my first bearded dragon and I brought him home on the 27th. He came from an individual that was not giving him the proper care: No uvb, feeding mealworms, sand, UTH instead of basking light, etc. They had been misinformed by a pet store employee (big surprise there). I wanted to start this thread so I and everyone else can watch Spyro as he grows.

About me: My name is Lindsey, I am 25 years old. I have a 6 year old daughter with Angelman Syndrome and she a happy little girl that teaches me something new everyday. I have a 4 year old boy named Garrett that shares my love of animals and he loves Spyro as much as I do. I have 3 dogs: Remington(Remi) is a 1 1/2 year old boxer, Tucker is my shihtzu mix, and the mighty Kujo, a toy poodle weighing in a 4.5 lbs. I also have 3 leopard geckos: Venus, Loki, and Thor. I am attending school full time to become a surgical tech. My life is chaotic, but that's the way I like it.

Now back to Spyro, this is the day I brought him home( I am sure a lot of you have seen these pics in the intro section, sorry I will have new ones up soon) :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tj7nq20v9w6su94/2012-12-27 16.40.01.jpg

His new home:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m94hjux9v2621v0/2012-12-28 20.31.56.jpg

A couple of him just being cute:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hnrb0e1uzzj09y2/2012-12-28 10.18.35.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fenofusv6z8hmwz/2012-12-28 14.03.38.jpg

I will update every once in a while with new pictures. When I got him he was in shed.... and still is. I am getting impatient to see this guy brighten up!

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":1xpjo1fc said:
Try warm baths to help him shed. His tank looks great, lots of space to run around.

Thank you, I was really bummed when I got the little rock bridge in the mail the other day broken but I siliconed it back together :D . His tank came with the tree and a log hide and he was hiding instead of basking so I took it out. Simple is better in my opinion. I had to leave the little tree, he sleeps in it even though I made him a comfy bed. I have been giving him a couple baths a day to help with shedding. Hopefully it will happen soon. Some flaked off around his head but then stopped.

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Poor Spyro, he is very cranky today. Puffing up and threatening me with an open mouth when I walk into the room, only ate one dubia this morning. I have given him 2 baths today to help and it seems to relax him, but I hope he starts shedding soon. I don't like to see him so uncomfortable.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'm glad the baths are helping, poor guy, some beardies don't take well to shedding.

Happy New Year to both of you, maybe he'll be shed by tomorrow and can start nice and fresh for 2013!

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Jesislas65":394yspl4 said:
Hope everything goes well
Thanks, me too.

He still hasn't started yet. I am starting to wonder if his poor nutrition he received from his previous owner is partly to blame for him having so much trouble.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Jace took a while with his/her first shed as well. Spyro looks adorable and I love the ocean background.

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
zandi202":1nplxxo6 said:
Jace took a while with his/her first shed as well. Spyro looks adorable and I love the ocean background.

He is going on day 6 with dull colors and a little bit of flaking. I am hoping it gets over soon because he is so cranky. The background came with him, I kind of like it!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
It's ok, once he starts the shed it'll go pouf & he'll be brand new, then the sheds will really start. And they're all grumpy when they shed, that's why I always give daily baths when one of mine is shedding, as they shed all their life. Once they're adults the sheds take more like 3 weeks to a month to start and really bother them, you'll see the sheds don't take long when they're babies!

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":2c93bwt5 said:
It's ok, once he starts the shed it'll go pouf & he'll be brand new, then the sheds will really start. And they're all grumpy when they shed, that's why I always give daily baths when one of mine is shedding, as they shed all their life. Once they're adults the sheds take more like 3 weeks to a month to start and really bother them, you'll see the sheds don't take long when they're babies!

I think that it's because I have had leopard geckos for 4 years and they just turn dull/white and shed all in the same day, it's really fast. I am just not used to how a bearded dragon sheds, I am just a worrier.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
It's ok, dragons shed very differently than leos or other geckos. Some shed in patches, some turn that dull colour, then white & pouf, explode out of their skin quickly. So it just depends on the dragon. They're all very different!

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":31o5n7xb said:
It's ok, dragons shed very differently than leos or other geckos. Some shed in patches, some turn that dull colour, then white & pouf, explode out of their skin quickly. So it just depends on the dragon. They're all very different!

I am learning that! I am just going to continue to give him one bath in the morning and one in the evening. Thank you for reassuring me! I never thought a little bearded dragon could make me such a spaz.

I think I've said this before (maybe on your intro, I'm not sure), but Spyro is such a cutie! I love his colours and I know he's about to shed and I can just imagine how awesome those colours will look once he's through it too! Make sure to take pictures when he does!
I am just like you in
a) I have a crazy life, but like it that way and
b) I was SO paranoid about shedding, but Toulouse seems to be pretty well done and we made it through okay. :p

Spyro looks like a real character and I love your viv. Did you mention how old he is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivannam17
Top Bottom