Filing Claws - Need Some Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucisAbsentia

Hatchling Member
Hey guys! So Gabriel's nails are definitely just too sharp for me right now. I've got little scratches all over the backs of my hands and wrists from when he's holding onto me or crawling around on my hands (a frequent occurrence - he likes to climb all over them when I'm typing!). I don't really want to clip them because I don't trust myself to do it and I don't feel the need to go all the way to the vet when I can just file them. Does anyone have any tips on how to do it? I haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinking about doing it at bedtime, when he's sleepy and pliant. I've searched around the forum a little bit, but most of the things I found had to do with clipping, so I'm just making this topic.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's usually the point when I start clipping/filing too. Clipping really isn't a big deal once you've done it once. It's more intimidating than tough. I've also filed nails and it works pretty well. I just use an emery board and slowly work on one hand at a time with gentile back and forth motion. It does tend to work best in the evening when they'll sit still. That's really the toughest part so be prepared to break it into several sessions if needed.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Can't see a beardie, even one who is uberlaid-back tolerating having it's claws files.

What you need is a pair of these http://www.miniinthebox.com/stainless-steel-cats-and-bird-nail-scissors-assorted-color_p421621.html?currency=AUD&litb_from=paid_adwords_shopping&litb_from=&adword_mt=&adword_ct=72953447442&adword_kw=&adword_pos=1o2&adword_pl=&adword_net=g&adword_tar=&adw_src_id=4196617767_311897322_22417194042_aud-79897721551:pla-101977883534&gclid=CPLwmMnlqsoCFUQHvAodDkED3g , I bought my bird nail clippers from Ebay.

This is pretty much the kind of job you need to do on your beardie's nails , when I do my lizards nails, even tiny Wriggles' nails (I need to use a jeweller's loop and a LED headtorch to see what I'm doing with her) , and they all let me do the nail clipping so long as they think they are being snuggled and petted.
http://kaytee.com/pet-birds/general-care/nail-trimming.htm

LucisAbsentia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I actually managed to get his claws filed down just a little bit ago before he fell asleep! I appreciate the advice, but I just don't feel comfortable clipping, (I don't just my hands to be that steady), which is why I asked about filing. Thank you both, though, I appreciate it.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
I use to file them, then started clipping them. Usually when Mystic wakes up or at night when he's sleepy.

LucisAbsentia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah, from what I've seen, a lot of people clip them. I assume it's probably easier and less time-consuming. But I am most likely not going to do that. I can barely cut my own nails without accidentally clipping too far, I'm gonna be honest. I wouldn't subject my beardie to that, considering his claws are far smaller than my nails.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
LucisAbsentia":3er5pa29 said:
Yeah, from what I've seen, a lot of people clip them. I assume it's probably easier and less time-consuming. But I am most likely not going to do that. I can barely cut my own nails without accidentally clipping too far, I'm gonna be honest. I wouldn't subject my beardie to that, considering his claws are far smaller than my nails.

well, you really only need to take the point off, so only 1-2mm is all you to take off so they are no longer like razer sharp needles.

LucisAbsentia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2xqnyjrh said:
LucisAbsentia":2xqnyjrh said:

well, you really only need to take the point off, so only 1-2mm is all you to take off so they are no longer like razer sharp needles.

I'm well aware. As I said, I did look around at the clipping posts. But I do not feel confident enough to not accidentally cut off more than that. I did not make this thread to get advice on clipping or if I should do that instead of filing. I appreciate everyone trying to help me with it, but I want to file his nails, and since Cooper said it was fine, and I trust Cooper's answers, I'm going to continue to file.

I don't mean to sound snippy, but I set up this thread to ask for advice on filing, and I've gotten multiple responses now about clipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harobuilt
Top Bottom