Fight the silence!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, maybe we can copy and paste this and email it to everyone we know.

Im not sure if this will even be read, or if the reader will even care, but this is something very important to me and many other people. It may not seem all that important, or seem to warrant the attention of CNN, but I honestly can not fathom how it goes unnoticed. Im talking about the treatment (or cruelty) to animals that takes place in chain pet stores. Establishments such as Petco and PetsMart have absolutely no regard to the animals under their care. They also don't give a second thought to passing on misinformation to uninformed costumers looking for a new pet. This results in bad quality of life for the animals, and eventually, death. It starts in the stores... too many animals, especially reptiles, to an enclosure. They attack one another resulting in missing digits and nipped tails that could cause serious infection. They are not fed properly, getting food that is much to big to eat, and food that is not nutritionally correct. This causes starvation and dehydration, resulting in skinny, malnourished animals. These same animals are also extremely young. What chance at life do they have with such disturbing beginnings? I've seen dead and dying animals in numerous pet stores who boast how they care about the animals! "Petco, where the pets go"? Seems more like where they go to die...and not fast and painless either. The reptiles aren't provided with proper lighting. The accurate UVB output is minimal, if existent at all. This causes lack of appetite, lethargy, and calcium deficiency, which leads to metabolic bone disease; a dilapidating curse of an illness. These animals, being only weeks old, are destined for sickness and mistreatment at the hands of pet store employees and the owners who were misinformed by them. I can not understand why there are no regulations that demand standards in stores. Who will protect these animals? When has cruelty to animals become legal, and why should ANY animal be overlooked. There is no such thing as a "disposable pet"! Every animal should have its rights and it's disgusting that these conditions are being allowed to continue. Please, if you care at all about the wellbeing of the helpless...the creatures who have no means to speak up, be their voice! Share their story and bring the much needed attention to these over looked animals. Please, end their suffering.

If you care at all, please visit our blog, http://fightthesilenceforthem.blogspot.com/
and like our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/Helpthesilence

Also, if you are willing, please sign your name under this and write your country. Please forward it to as many people you can. Let's spread the word about this. (You can sign your full name, first name, a username, or a nickname. Whatever you want.)

ThisIsAUsedName65714 (from bearded dragon.org) -USA

This is coming along great! Awesome work everyone!!!!! :mrgreen: :blob8:

drgnfly2265

Sub-Adult Member
Wow, this thread is growing fast! I can't type too much at the moment (doing house work, lol), but I am interested in working on the Facebook page if everyone is alright with that. I have some questions that I will ask about what we want to see come out of this and also what our goal is. I like the idea of being able to focus on all reptiles, they all can use what help they can get :wink:

If anyone would like to see the Facebook pages that I have and how I maintain them please check out my tortoises page here - http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Bowser-the-Sulcata-tortoise/109031292528688 And you can see Yaddle's page by clicking on the picture in my signature.

Zeusmybeardie":1l97yr4b said:
The blog is coming gods just thought I would let u know in asking drgnfly to help with the fb page sense he put it toghther so good ok with u guys
P.S. - I'm a she :wave:

Zeusmybeardie

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
thought so lol i just didnt know for sure i couldnt remember for sure cause i believe unde rone of your post u put amanda sorry lol and btw are goal is to get pet stores to change the car in the way animals are treated and them to give proper care and for face book iwould like to go for 10,000 likes sounds like alot but its what we need

Evergreen

Juvie Member
Alright, how about this? It could still be worded better but it's a little better then that last one I posted.

Pet Stores: Better regulate the care of your live animals.
Goal: 10,000?

Have you ever been to a pet stores and strolled through the reptile section? Bearded Dragons, Leopard geckos, Iguanas, Ball pythons, Turtles and many other species are bought every day. Many of these will die or be sent to rescues, many more will be neglected due to uneducated caretakers. Pet stores often have unsuitable environments for their reptiles and pack them into enclosures hoping for quick sales. Each species has different lighting, heating, diet and socialization needs and neglect of these leads to disease and death. Reptiles bought from pet stores are often too young to be sold and many can carry parasites or already show symptoms of a very serious and all to common disease, Metabolic Bone Disease. With this lack of care in the pet store in addition to the vast lack of knowledge by the employees caring for and selling them has gotten out of hand, this neglect and abuse cannon be ignored any longer.

We demand that all pet stores take responsibility for their animals. They need to give each species the habitat it needs to survive and make sure their employees take responsibility for the information they give. If you have a few minutes do a little research on just one species be it Bearded Dragons, Iguanas, Corn-snakes or even hamsters. Then go to your local pet stores and see this neglect first hand, it's often hidden behind fancy decorations or colorful substrate but one doesn't need to look hard to see the sickly or dying animals that are far to common in the pet stores many of us depend on.

Please visit our facebook page and blog for more information and personal stories on this issue:
http://fightthesilenceforthem.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/Helpthesilence

PLEASE if you see any typos let me know. Even if you think of something that should be reworded or changed entirely, I'm far from an English major and need your help!

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
ThisIsAUsedName65714":38ngq2na said:
Hey, maybe we can copy and paste this and email it to everyone we know.

Im not sure if this will even be read, or if the reader will even care, but this is something very important to me and many other people. It may not seem all that important, or seem to warrant the attention of CNN, but I honestly can not fathom how it goes unnoticed. Im talking about the treatment (or cruelty) to animals that takes place in chain pet stores. Establishments such as Petco and PetsMart have absolutely no regard to the animals under their care. They also don't give a second thought to passing on misinformation to uninformed costumers looking for a new pet. This results in bad quality of life for the animals, and eventually, death. It starts in the stores... too many animals, especially reptiles, to an enclosure. They attack one another resulting in missing digits and nipped tails that could cause serious infection. They are not fed properly, getting food that is much to big to eat, and food that is not nutritionally correct. This causes starvation and dehydration, resulting in skinny, malnourished animals. These same animals are also extremely young. What chance at life do they have with such disturbing beginnings? I've seen dead and dying animals in numerous pet stores who boast how they care about the animals! "Petco, where the pets go"? Seems more like where they go to die...and not fast and painless either. The reptiles aren't provided with proper lighting. The accurate UVB output is minimal, if existent at all. This causes lack of appetite, lethargy, and calcium deficiency, which leads to metabolic bone disease; a dilapidating curse of an illness. These animals, being only weeks old, are destined for sickness and mistreatment at the hands of pet store employees and the owners who were misinformed by them. I can not understand why there are no regulations that demand standards in stores. Who will protect these animals? When has cruelty to animals become legal, and why should ANY animal be overlooked. There is no such thing as a "disposable pet"! Every animal should have its rights and it's disgusting that these conditions are being allowed to continue. Please, if you care at all about the wellbeing of the helpless...the creatures who have no means to speak up, be their voice! Share their story and bring the much needed attention to these over looked animals. Please, end their suffering.

If you care at all, please visit our blog, http://fightthesilenceforthem.blogspot.com/
and like our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/Helpthesilence

Also, if you are willing, please sign your name under this and write your country. Please forward it to as many people you can. Let's spread the word about this. (You can sign your full name, first name, a username, or a nickname. Whatever you want.)

ThisIsAUsedName65714 (from bearded dragon.org) -USA

This is coming along great! Awesome work everyone!!!!! :mrgreen: :blob8:

This was a good idea put the blog and Facebook right under! I should have thought if that, it makes sense to do.

EccentricME

Hatchling Member
The description the FB page needs to be changed. Instead of saying,"Me and a bunch of bd.org......just say "We are...." and there needs to be spell check. And there's already a FB page called "fight the Silence Tour" I don't know if that will confuse people? Maybe the page's name should have something todo with Reptiles?

Hope that helps.

ReptileAddiction

Hatchling Member
Katie I am extremely sorry if I offended you. You asked for opinions so I gave mine. I am sorry if you did not like it. I am doing everything I can. I am personlly calling and emailing all the news stations in my area and a bunch of national ones. All I am trying to do is help. In my opinion that is not the way to go about getting people to help. I think that we need to get a plan and organize before we start asking people to help. Maybe we can exchange emails with everyone through pm? I am on my phone right now so when I get home I will send pm's to everyone who is contributing to this thread. We all should brain storm and try to get a gameplan. I agree we need to assign jobs. Maybe the people who made the fb and stuff should handle those and the email and Katie and I could handle calling people and emailing people and companies. I think we should start by getting to know each other better by names. My name is Sam.

Evergreen

Juvie Member
Hello Sam, I think that's a good idea. It wouldn't be very professional if we all start emailing people individually since we could end up emailing the same people! There could be a master list (maybe on the blog) of people we have emailed and their responses?

My Job: Fight the Silence petition page
*Update and monitor signatures and comments
*Keep all of you updated on signatures and comments
*Edit the petition home page and description until we all agree on something

Is everyone okay with that? And my name is Andi :)

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
oh, and i re read the petition and theres a few grammatical and spelling errors. can it be edited?

Evergreen

Juvie Member
EccentricME":2x7nf6ro said:
The description the FB page needs to be changed. Instead of saying,"Me and a bunch of bd.org......just say "We are...." and there needs to be spell check. And there's already a FB page called "fight the Silence Tour" I don't know if that will confuse people? Maybe the page's name should have something todo with Reptiles?

Hope that helps.

Hmm, well Fight the Silence is certainly catchy. I think we could still use it even though there's something similar but I'm sure we're all open to suggestions!

Zeusmybeardie

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Hey my names mike and I think the
Job ideas great so u and Katie handle the calls emails and letters we made an email for this it's called [email protected] Katie can give ya the password and u can use that so its easy and simple me and drgnfly will do the fb page if she wants evergreen does the petition and and this is a uses username does the blog everyone cool with that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toothadash
Top Bottom