few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

chago11

How often do beardies shed?
What size uvb should I have for a 50 gallon tank?
Why isn't my bd eating crickets or greens? Can it be because I gave him a few PWs the other day as a snack?

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
There really is no specific answer about shedding. When they are young and grow so quickly, it seems that they are constantly shedding to keep up with the tremendous growth. When they get older, they shed less often.

Some say that the UVB tube should stretch the entire length of the cage, but if you can only have one that goes 2/3 of the way, that should be suitable. They should be about to get fairly close to the bulb (I use a MVB, so I am unsure of the actual distance).

There could be many reasons that your BD isn't eating. He could be on strike until you give him more PWs, or there could be husbandry issues. If you could answer some questions about your set-up, we may be able to figure it out.

How big is your tank/cage?
What do you use as a UVB sourse? Strip/compact/MVB? What is the number from it, if its a tube? 10.0 5.0?
What are the basking temps, cool side?
How do you measure them? stick on, round dial, digital w/ probe, temp gun?

chago11

Original Poster
How big is your tank/cage? 50 gal tank
What do you use as a UVB sourse? Strip/compact/MVB? What is the number from it, if its a tube? 10.0 5.0?had a reptisun 10.0 florecent tube( that the cat broke today)
What are the basking temps, cool side? basking 102-105 cool side 80-85
How do you measure them? stick on, round dial, digital w/ probe, temp gun? temp gun

it's probably just the swap that has him a little off. and could someone fill me in... whats a PW? i'm sure i'll feel stupid once i see it spelled out but oh well...

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Yes, he is probably going through a bit of relocation stress. He should settle in over the next few days. Continue to offer plenty of chances each day to eat, and keep fresh veg in for him at all times. He will come around. Your tank conditions seem fine, as long as you replace the bulb as soon as you can.

Good luck!

XCrunner

Hatchling Member
yeah its probably because of the change. i bought myl ittle guy from the store a few days ago, and the change in cages has him barely eating any crickets and almost no salad. If you keep him/her pretty hydrated though it shouldn't be much of a problem. also i have heard to reduce stress you can cover 3 sides with dark paper. It might only apply for babies like mine, I'm not sure

chago11

Original Poster
I think my bd doesnt like crickets anymore. I tried feeding him some to day and he didnt eat. I tried greens again today and he wouldnt eat. i finnally gave in and gave him PWs and he eat about 30 small ones( i guess speedy's new staple is PWs). Now to figure out how to make him eat his greens. Does anyone know how fast the PWs grow? The small ones are to small.

XCrunner

Hatchling Member
are pheonix worms an okay staple? is that healthy? my guy doesnt seem to like crix either! where do you buy yours??

chago11

Original Poster
From what I have read the PWs are one of the better worms to use as a feeder. I get mine from mulberryfarms.com

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
From what I understand, if you feed PW's you need to alter the calcium amounts you are supplementing. Anyone know if this is true ?
Janie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom