Female Behavior During Breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, my male 3yrs and female 5yrs old mated two days ago. I believe it was successful. It was their first meeting. I still have them together and they are still showing lots of body language. Male is head bobbing, black beard, and chasing her. Female has a slightly black beard, doing push ups, and arm waving. The only thing is that she is going up to him, and doing the push ups on his back. It looks like a dominate body language or she is trying to get his attention. They both are still eating well, and not trying to hide. My main questions are: 1. after a successful mate would they continue to mate, or stop one she becomes pregnant. 2. Will the female show signs if she is no longer interested in mating would the male back off. 3. Has anyone being successful in housing a male and a female together permanently. 6. If so what was the size of their tank. I currently using a 60 gal (48" x 15").

Thanks I know it's a lot of questions.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
beardiesdad":6a56a said:
So, my male 3yrs and female 5yrs old mated two days ago. I believe it was successful. It was their first meeting. I still have them together and they are still showing lots of body language. Male is head bobbing, black beard, and chasing her. Female has a slightly black beard, doing push ups, and arm waving. The only thing is that she is going up to him, and doing the push ups on his back. It looks like a dominate body language or she is trying to get his attention. They both are still eating well, and not trying to hide. My main questions are: 1. after a successful mate would they continue to mate, or stop one she becomes pregnant. 2. Will the female show signs if she is no longer interested in mating would the male back off. 3. Has anyone being successful in housing a male and a female together permanently. 6. If so what was the size of their tank. I currently using a 60 gal (48" x 15").

Thanks I know it's a lot of questions.

Most of these questions are answered here before but here goes, 1 They will continue to mate, 2 They will try to hurt each other 3 They should be separated ASAP!! 4 You need to separate them now!! They will do more damage to each other than good!! Hope this helps...

beardiesdad

Original Poster
Yes, I have read lots of the postings and some articles, but I was looking for a conversation with another person who has experience with breeding or keeping dragons together. I housed my male with another female for 3 yrs, and never had any problems. Although, he was raised from very young her. I never seen him wanting to mate with her either. She past away 4 mos ago, and he had not been with another dragon until now. Far as separating the male from the new female they are not fighting and biting each other, just body language. They do spend time apart from each other, and do act normal when they are together as well: just basking, sleeping, ect. I do have some concern with over breeding her, and from things that I have read her body language (push up) is telling him is that she is ready to breed. I was also hoping to find out what are some signs to look for as to she not wanting him around. Also if someone knows of a very good book that goes into more detail let me know. Mose stuff online are the same articles just copy and paste.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
The best info you can find is rite here! Most of the books out there are not up to date. As I no there are a few from here that are making that happen! Other signs you can look for are stress marks on her or running away from him. Also you can watch out for her appetite change and flared up beard!.Or he is laying on top of her. But most people on here are gonna tell you the same thing and that is to separate them as they are solitary reptiles!!! I'm just giving you my 2 cents!! Ive been breeding for about 6 years now and can only offer you my experience!! Good luck.............

spyder79

Extreme Poster
beardiesdad":b7caa said:
Yes, I have read lots of the postings and some articles, but I was looking for a conversation with another person who has experience with breeding or keeping dragons together. I housed my male with another female for 3 yrs, and never had any problems. Although, he was raised from very young her. I never seen him wanting to mate with her either. She past away 4 mos ago, and he had not been with another dragon until now. Far as separating the male from the new female they are not fighting and biting each other, just body language. They do spend time apart from each other, and do act normal when they are together as well: just basking, sleeping, ect. I do have some concern with over breeding her, and from things that I have read her body language (push up) is telling him is that she is ready to breed. I was also hoping to find out what are some signs to look for as to she not wanting him around. Also if someone knows of a very good book that goes into more detail let me know. Mose stuff online are the same articles just copy and paste.

What was her cause of death? The main thing that goes wrong with housing a male and female together is the female gets over stressed due to the constant onslaught of having a dominant male as a house mate. You will find almost no one on this forum that "has experience" keeping a male and female together permanently as it is one of the biggest no no practices in this industry. If you want to keep them together do it at your own risk and have a vet on call. He has bred her which means he will breed her again and again and again. No matter how big of a viv you keep them in (that is unless you are willing to turn an entire 10ft x 10ft room into a habitat and even then it might not work). If you dont want to seperate them that is your decision but you will not find people that advocate keeping a male and female together as it is not a "smart" practice.

crazymum

Hatchling Member
if you want to house them in the same tank but dont want the risk of them killing each other than do what me and my ex did for our beardies....

he built a 5 foot long 30 inches wide and 2 feet tall tank and made a divider in it with a plexiglass window so they can still see each other that way they are a lil used to each other so when it comes time for breeding when our male is old enough they wont hate each other....

beardiesdad

Original Poster
The female died of cancer, noting to due with housing two together. She develop a growth inside her lower abdominal that slowly grew to a size of a quarter.

This is the first time he is showing interest in breeding. I was shocked when I put them on the floor together to introduce them and they mated. Now that I know that they will I want to do my homework. Of course I don't want to risk an injury. That why I'm seeking info. I've been a reptile owner for years so I'm not completely green. I did adopted a male adult iguana years ago. The vet thought he was at least 13 years old when he died, and I had him for 7 years. It was the something with them too, you can't house a male with others. I am OK with not keeping in the same tank. I do have another tank I have as a spare that I can use.It's a bit small for a permanent. I've read somewhere that somebody put a divider in their tank and it worked out well. What did you use as the tracks to hold the divider, and what kind of glue or silicone did you use.

crazymum

Hatchling Member
there is no silicone or trackings for it... it is just made with some of the wood from the backing which i think is ummm i cant remember the name of it... but i will get my ex to come on here and tell you how he did it... our female is constantly scratching at the plexiglass but she cannot break the divider....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom