female acting strang- diarrhea

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephnt619

Hatchling Member
Athena has been acting very strange on and off lately...more details about it can be found by going to one of my other posts....http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=109889

This afternoon I noticed she had diarrhea, it had lots of liquid and the part that is usually formed was very mushy/squishy looking. I could see parts of crickets in it. It was also kind of a reddish brown color, instead of the usual dark brown color. Not bloody really, just not it's usual color. The only change I can think of lately is that a few days ago my boyfriend was feeding them romaine/iceberg lettuce because we ran out of mustard/collard greens while I was out of town. He also said he fed them some green grapes, which I haven't ever fed them before.

Should I be worried, or is it just from something she ate? She has been acting so weird lately.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The romaine & icerberg lettuce, combined with grapes will most definitely cause diarrhea for sure.
I would give extra oral fluids to help replace some of the fluids that she has lost through the diarrhea. I could not get the hyperlink to come up.
How long has your female been acting strange? How old is she?

Tracie

stephnt619

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Athena is just coming up on a year old. She has been acting this way for about a week or two now. Some people I've talked to on here suggested that maybe she is gravid. I'm not sure if that would be with fertile or in fertile eggs, because I just got her back in June, along with my male. The previous owner let them out together, but I don't know if he supervised them or not. So as to whether she's been bred or not, I really couldn't say. I know not while she has been with us, but before we got her it could be possible.

She has been spazzing out and clawing at everything, alternating with becoming grumpy.shy and hiding, when before she was very interested in sitting out and watching us while she basked. Now she stays under her log 1/2 the day and when she is up and about she is clawing at everything and acting like a maniac. She's been eating less than usual too.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She almost sounds like she could be gravid! How long has she been acting this way?
If she was around a male, there is a possibilty she could be gravid with fertile eggs. You should probably go ahead & make a laybox for her just in case.
Do you have a good quality UVB light as well, & are you supplementing calcium daily right now?
Since you said she has not been eating as much, that is one main thing that they do before they lay as the eggs begin to fill up the coelomic cavity.
Perhaps you get an x-ray or an ultrasound to see if she is carrying eggs which will help you know what to do in order to help her through this phase if in fact, she is gravid.
How is she doing today?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom