Feeding size dubias, what to do with adult males?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KendraA

Hatchling Member
I'm a soon-to-be beardie owner with a new dubia colony. In early June I bought 200 large nymphs that matured and began to breed. I have one bearded dragon to feed (he is just a few months old). I was wondering if bearded dragons ever get big enough to safely eat to adult male dubias? They seem so big.

BabySkales

Hatchling Member
yes, your BD will be big enough to eat the males. the male just look really big because of their wings, the females are much bigger.. males just look gross like "real" roaches.

KendraA

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks! Do you know what age of beardie is usually big enough to eat the adult male dubias?

dom02

I"ve been wondering the same thing myself. I"ve been ordering dubias but I've got a couple that by chance never got fed and look fully grown. I think their bigger then the space between my beardies eyes, but I hear of people feeding adult dubias so wasn't sure if it was safe. My beardie is about 14 months old and just over 17inches long.

BabySkales

Hatchling Member
i'm not a 100% sure. I know the space between their eye is used as a guide line for dragons before they reach their adult size.. but then again some dragons can be smaller than others. My friend feeds the males to his dragon, he's about a year old and the roach a little bigger than the space between his eyes.
Maybe someone with more experience may chime in.

KendraA

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I just asked the breeder who I got my beardie from if he feeds adult male dubia to fully-grown beardies. He says he doesn't, but he knows many who do. He recommends cutting off the wings.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
I just freeze, kill or give away extra males I have. I don't feed them to Harley as they seem to have a high amount of chitin plus the wings and imo wouldn't be that great for a beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom