Feeding Crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.
So typically I feed the crickets I buy with veggies that I'd feed my beardie. However most of those do not include protein. I read that crickets often eat eachother for many reasons, one being lack of protein. Feeding them protein would not only reduce cannibalism, but probably be even more beneficial for the beardie, whos still a growing boy. My only concern, is what protein foods could I feed my crickets that would be safe for a beardie? I heard I could feed them bearded dragon pellets and even a cat food mixture with powdered skim? Looking for something fairly cost effective. Any help would be great thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The veges are a great way to gutload them, provide nutrition, and hyration. I also used a bit of grain/bran in a plastic peanut butter jar top which contains the protein they need. You can get it from most vendors when you order your crickets in bulk. You can also pick some up in the bulk section of a lot of grocery stores.

SDragons

Juvie Member
CooperDragon":y9ywpymu said:
The veges are a great way to gutload them, provide nutrition, and hyration. I also used a bit of grain/bran in a plastic peanut butter jar top which contains the protein they need. You can get it from most vendors when you order your crickets in bulk. You can also pick some up in the bulk section of a lot of grocery stores.

I've read that also, but isn't bran bad for beardies? I'm having an issue with cricket die of right now as well. I'm looking for any assistance as well

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I have found that repcal adult beardie pellets (dry straight out the bottle) work a treat with crickets (they love them) , I also give my crickets fresh carrot chunks, and 24 - 48 hr prior to being used I add buk choi greens to their food to increase the Ca in them.

SuperHusky

Original Poster
You guys have helped a lot! I think I will give the reptile pellets a try! Getting large crickets now... he ate 25 smaller medium crickets in one sitting lol... what a fatty

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
SuperHusky":1pkknxgl said:
You guys have helped a lot! I think I will give the reptile pellets a try! Getting large crickets now... he ate 25 smaller medium crickets in one sitting lol... what a fatty

Don't worry too much if the pellets get stale (go soft) and even get a dusting of mould on their surface , this doesn't seem to worry crickets and once processed in their gut has no effect on the lizards who eat the crickets.
I regularly when my cricket keeper tubs are empty of crickets ( I use old Piscus and BioLabs cricket tubs to store my bulk crickets in in batches of 60 - 80 x 2/3 sized crickets per tub) I simply recover the remaining bits of pellet which I give to the other crickets or give to the mealworms and superworms. Not many pellets go to waste in this house.

You'll find the crickets like the dry repcal adult beardie pellets so much they will even fight for their own pellet to drag off to eat. I discovered this by accident (I saw a rogue cricket dragging a pellet I'd dropped across the kitchen floor).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom