Feeding and excreeting difficulties in 1 year old

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I was going to try that last. Why? For baby humans, applesauce is constipating for those with diarrhea. Couldn't get past that. We Rx'd apple juice for human babies with constipation.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
You might try making his bath a bit deeper than usual. The exercise from swimming might get things moving. It has worked on mine before, as well as making the water a tad warmer than usual. Good luck!

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Esther, thanks, I'll try.

I have to admit, I didn't give him the veggie oil until about an hour ago. I just was dreading it. I was giving him one more chance to poo. We think he hat some cantiloupe today (that or it quickly dried and shriveled up).

I wasn't prepared for how strong he was. Much, much stronger than Strax. It hurt my heart to do that to him. I thought I could do it by myself. Well, he wasn't cooperating. My wife helped me. We got a little over 2cc down twice. I hope that was enough.

Tomorrow, we'll try prune juice if he doesn't go by mid-day. I so hate forcing these sweet creatures like this.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes, it is a very hard thing to have to do. :( I wonder if he would have eaten a super with the oil on it although it might not have been enough to help. Does he seem uncomfortable? Are his beard and/or tail dark in color?

Hopefully he will totally clean himself out tomorrow.

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He doesn't seem uncomfortable at all. No dark colors. Seems fine. Doesn't crack his mouth open all the time.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's good that he is acting & looking fine. Would think he should be pooping soon. Keep us updated on him, ok?

I've always heard that apples and applesauce are a good thing to give a beardie to help them clear out and have had very good results with very warm babyfood applesauce. :notworthy:

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Today getting the prune juice in him was pretty rough. He was a lot more trouble than yesterday, and that was too much already. Today, I learned just how hard he can chomp down. I used my thumb in his mouth to keep his mouth propped open. Big mistake. He bent my thumbnail and his teeth entered my skin (but no beads of blood). He wasn't biting at me, just trying to close his mouth, poor guy.

We got down about 5 cc of prune juice. Hope it kicks in. He ate superworms happily tonight.

Will see about getting some baby applesauce tomorrow. I hope he'll go for it. He has never eaten anything soft like that before when we have offered it to him. Perhaps he'll like that yummy applesauce smell. More prune juice and veggie oil, too, if he hasn't poo'd tomorrow.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh dear, good that he didn't break the skin, must have really pinched though. Did it get bruised?

If he happily ate his supers, he must not have held a grudge. :lol: All should kick in very soon. Good that he's still eating though, shows he's not uncomfortable anyway.

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, it did break the skin, but blood just never beaded. I'll watch for salmonella.

I'm glad he is eating, too. Not sure how to prevent this in the future unless it was the temp. Not sure I'm happy with the solution I used. I might put in a basking bulb with the ceramic heater and remove the layer of brick I added to increase the temp that way.

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I've also geared have we somehow cross infected with atadenovirus as well.

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He went! I was running the bath with warmer water, and he was just starting to do swimming-like motions (water wasn't high enough) when the dam broke! Of course it was to be expected, but wow did he have a lot of uric acid!!! Thanks for all the input. I think all contributions contributed!

We're very grateful to you all!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh awesome! Bet he feels better. Hope the dam held up ok. :lol:

Were the urates hard or rubbery?

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Diane,

It is a little hard to say. I wouldn't say they felt rubber, but on end was rather easy to "smush" between my fingers and the other was much harder to do so. I don't think I would describe as rubbery. What does each mean?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hope Praxis doesn't mind all these personal questions lol.

The reason I asked if it was rubbery is because I thought his body might have formed a urate plug which blocks the pooping. If it was hard, means either he is getting a little too much calcium and/or needs slightly more frequent baths. Are you still dusting his feeders 5 days a week or have you cut that back a little?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixxie
Top Bottom