Fecal drop-off...issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

saden99

So I decided to call some Vets around here to ask if they take Fecal drop-offs from Reptiles to examine for parasites and finally got a hold of one place around here that deals with exotics and Reptiles. They told me that, by law they cannot make a diagnosis of parasites if they just take a fecal unless they see the animal and do an exam. Don't get me wrong...I want an exam, but Rupert is a little over a month old and does not like strangers at all. I don't want a Vet visit to stress him/her out just to run a fecal...

What is strange is the woman said they can take the fecal and examine, but they can't make a diagnosis and prescribe any treatment which I thought was odd. They can't even tell me he/she has parasites if he/she does? I want to bring Rupert in when he/she is about 5-6 months and probably much more comfortable being handled and taken out of the normal habitat, but right now I have a feeling a Vet visit will mean a re-visit to something like re-location stress. Not to mention that it seems odd that I might be shelling out $100 every time I want a fecal done which will be somewhat often in the future when Rupert starts brumation and what not.

I live in Georgia by the way...~20 miles NW of Atlanta. This place is about 20 minutes away on a good day of traffic.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
Some vets have a policy of wanting to examine them the first time before a fecal if they've never been there before, but I haven't heard of it being a law. I could see it being a possible liability issue, perhaps they're not technically a patient until they've been seen.

My vet has that policy, but after that they don't need to be seen for a fecal unless it's positive.

saden99

Original Poster
Yah...they're saying it's the LAW that they have to do an exam before they can run a fecal test (or in this case I would bring Rupert in for an exam with a fecal sample ready for them to test).

Does anyone have any tips for bringing Rupert in for an exam? 4 inches (not counting the tail), eating well...good health from what I can tell. This would just be the first fecal that I want to make routine. The vet visit itself wouldn't be routine at all. A new box, a car ride for 20-30 minutes and then some person with gloves and a mask touching him/her for the exam...that'd be stressful to me if I were that small.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Get a chemical handwarmer from a hardware store. Once you are ready to go to the vet, activate the warmer and wrap it in a towel. You can set you dragon on that inside a small box.
If she is eating well and growing, you can wait to have a fecal until she is a bit bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom