Fearless Beardie...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheline101

So my beardie, Puff, was sitting on my lap while I was on the computer and for some crazy reason... he decided to hop down and run right up to the cat. Now if he just did it once, I wouldn't have thought anything of it... but he knows the cats want to kill him... he's had to hide from them before when I took my eye off him... and for some reason, the other night... he just kept jumping down and running up to the cat... I had to keep grabbing him because the cat was going into "pounce mode" but he didn't seem to care... I thought beardies were supposed to puff out their beard and their tummy to scare off predators when they got too close... He ran a few feet and stopped like he always does and the cat even ran after him... Puff just stopped and looked at the cat like he wasn't really about to die... is that normal? I know I shouldn't even have him in the same room as the cat but after the first couple times, I'm not gonna lie, I waited a while before grabbing the cat, just to see if there was any kind of reaction... nothin'. Could it be because he's just used to being handled and fast movement? My cats like to follow him out side his tank when I feed him and he's chasing around his crickets... could it be that he's just used to the cats following him around and doesn't think he's in any danger outside of the tank? This worries me... What if I take my eyes off him and not realize when a cat's in the room...:(

My dragon takkun does the same thing. My cats look like they are stalking him and he still just insists on jumping right on their face so he can sit on their heads. Needless to say they do not appreciate it so much. How big is your dragon, mine is still pretty small so Im hoping once he gets bigger they wont see him as a little toy any longer.

Cheline101

Original Poster
Puff is about 15 inches. He's about a year and a half old, but he just doesn't seem as bulky as the adult ones I see at the reptile store. I think he should be about done growing though... My cats are all indoor/outdoor cats, so they like to hunt and kill the snakes and mice in the neighborhood... this cat that Puff was running up to is known for killing frogs and dragonflies and bringing them in the house and setting them in from of me like it's a gift... it's so grose but I don't think the cats will ever be uninterested by him... i just feel like Puff should have some more common sense because i think he knows the cats are trying to kill him if they're ever out in the same room.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, I think your beardie is so used to seeing the cats that he has no fear ! You really have to make sure the cats are in another room when you have him out. That's a disaster waiting to happen, because your cat IS a hunter and one quick bite may not kill but could do serious injury and then you have a big vet bill to deal with as well. Watch that sneaky cat and that senseless little Puff !

Some of my favorite memories of Specky the iguana were with her and cats. Needless to say, a five-foot iguana stacks up much better against a cat than a 10-inch juvenile Beardie.

Cheline101

Original Poster
I never leave him alone with a cat in the room but he's sleeping in my hand right now and the same cat is laying next to me purring. Mr. T (the cat) was watching him a little bit ago, and he sniffed him, but since Puff's sleeping, Mr. T is now uninterested... one day when I have both hands, I'll get a picture of them together. As long as they're with me nobody's gonna get hurt.

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
Makes me glad I have one scardey cat who hardly shows her face outisde my sister's room and one mushy cat who doesn't care about Scout...
They're both indoor..
But I think beardies like to tease other animals now and then. ;P
I'll let Scout go nose to nose with our cat Bootz or even sit on him(as you can see in my siggy) and he doesn't mind, as long as I pet him first so he doesn't get too tickled by Scout.

However, onetime Scout licked Bootz on the lips or nose and Bootz recoiled and gave the most hillarious disgusted face I had ever seen! XD
Hopefully you're beardie will understand that the cats are not supposed to be played with.
Scout thinks he's invincible and will jump off my chair/slide down the couch/ and all that. He's still a youngster, though. ;P

Cheline101

Original Poster
Yeah I had a few scares when my Puff was a baby, I'd let him run on the couch, and he'd climb on the back and jump to the floor. (He was doing this when he was only 3-4 months old) I usually caught him, but for some reason, he just likes to try to be Evil Kinevel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom