Faux carved rock covered in Drylok - Great Results!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLB85

Okay guys, so I got a baby beardie and kept her in a temporary enclosure until I finished her new home. Below I've included my progress, let me know what you think!

We had leftover slate tile from a reno and I siliconed this in place. I spent a lot of time researching silicone as not to harm my dragon in any way. I learned that you should NEVER use Silicone with any mold and mildrew resistance. It can be very toxic to your dragon. Ideally you should aim for aquarium and/or food grade silicone. I found aquarium grade, which was really expensive at $25 a tube, but after a lot of research I found a cheap source here in Canada. Home Hardware makes their own silicone that is aquarium and food safe and only $6 a tube. Great resource for Canadians who don't have the resources and cheaper prices as our American friends.
93324-7635910.jpg

As the silicone was curing for a few weeks, I started with a rough rock layout from polystyrene insulation which I cut out with a scroll saw. I wanted a cave hide for her and a corner basking area.
93324-7318407180.jpg

After finishing the layout, I started carving the rock. The polystyrene is superior the regular styrofoam because it's more solid and easy to work. The regular styrofoam is made of compacted round little pieces so it chips out as your carve. I used a sureform file and a rasp to carve out the rocks. I didn't look at any rock pictures, so I sort of just did it by imagination. Once I was happy with my carved layers I siliconed them together.
93324-2364020692.jpg
93324-2643988589.jpg

After a lot of research I decided on covering the polystyrene in Drylok. I didn't sand the polystyrene rock, as I wanted a rough finish and this actually worked out great! With the combination of the rough texture of Drylok and the rough texture I left the polystyrene, the rocks ended up looking and feeling quite textured. You can purchase Drylok in white or grey, and this is the grey colour straight out of the can, which you can easily paint on with a nylon brush.
93324-8583948072.jpg

I wanted the rock to have some further colour and dimension. It is recommended to dye the Drylok with concrete dye, but this would still leave a one colour finish. I ended up mixing non-toxic acrylic paint with the Drylok instead. Here is the first coat of solid brownish-grey colour.
93324-775464243.jpg

I then added some shading with a darker colour. I didn't get a picture, but I ended up going over it with a lighter highlighting colour in the end to create more depth.
93324-6941789239.jpg

Finally installed the rock and put my baby 8-9 week old in her new enclosure! I was worried she'd be nervous, but she seemed to love it! She was so curious and took a stroll around the whole enclosure to check it out. She's currently happily basking on her new branch after a dip in her water dish.
93324-3253638148.jpg
93324-4037739975.jpg

Let me know what you think and if you have any questions!

charmander16

Juvie Member
They look nice, but I think they'll be too small to last long. She'll probably to large to sit on them or fit in the cave within a year.

KLB85

Original Poster
This is only a temporary enclosure for a few months. I'm working on a 55" tank right now for her to move into when she's ready.

Aziara

Be sure to keep us updated on how the rocks handle wear and tear. I've got some Drylok sitting in my shed, so I'm considering using it instead of the grout method.

KLB85

Original Poster
Will do! From what I understand Drylok works so well because it's waterproof already, so you don't have to put a sealant on it, like you would grout to make it waterproof. I never really found a sealant in my research that I was comfortable using, so that was a big bonus for me when it comes to Drylok. It also has a great rough texture straight from the can, so good for grip and keep their nails down. One story that sold me, was that I read of a tegu owner who used Drylok on the floor where their full grown tegu would dig for hours each day months at a time. They said the Drylok held up and the tegu never got through it. Sounds like it should hold up well, but I'll keep you updated!

Aziara

KLB85":1m0768bi said:
Will do! From what I understand Drylok works so well because it's waterproof already, so you don't have to put a sealant on it, like you would grout to make it waterproof. I never really found a sealant in my research that I was comfortable using, so that was a big bonus for me when it comes to Drylok. It also has a great rough texture straight from the can, so good for grip and keep their nails down. One story that sold me, was that I read of a tegu owner who used Drylok on the floor where their full grown tegu would dig for hours each day months at a time. They said the Drylok held up and the tegu never got through it. Sounds like it should hold up well, but I'll keep you updated!

Wow! Digging for hours and no getting through it? Drylok is definitely tougher than I thought!
I've only used it so far for rocks in a frog tank, and they're super easy on their environment, so I didn't know it would hold up to so much abuse.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Very beautiful, excellent job ! She does look very happy in there. :) What size is the tank ? I think the cave will actually still suit her when she's older, they love to curl up in even a tight spot....you know beardies sleep in the oddest places so I think she'll continue to use it if she likes it.

KLB85

Original Poster
Thanks so much :D The tank is a 20 gallon long which should fit her for another 2 months or so while I build her new adult tank. I have a 55" front opening tank I'll be working on and attempting a full faux rock background which will include ledges for her to lounge on. Lol she was very skeptical of the cave when I first put her in. She roamed around and checked everything out, but it took her a few apprehensive tries before she went in the cave. She hasn't been back in it yet, but I think you're right, it should work when she's older and less scared of it :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom