Fatty Liver

Meghan

Beardie name(s)
Valkyrie
Hello everybody
I had my beardie for about 3 years now. I noticed yellow on my bearded dragon, Valkyries tummy about a year ago. I thought it was Yellow fungus so we took her to the vet as soon as possible. They were inexperienced and had no clue what they were doing (they did not even test to make sure it was YF) and sent me home with chlorhexidine solution and oral probiotics. A few weeks later the "yellow fungus" comes off in a shed. A few months later it comes back on her belly AND gums. I now knew this was not yellow fungus and instead jaundice. Yesterday I took her to a vet. He seemed very knowledgeable and experienced and told me he was concerned it was fatty liver disease. He recommended oxbow herbivore + carnivore supplements, more water, and referred us to another exotics vet for blood work to confirm it was fatty liver. However he told she needs MORE protein??? I was confused since I thought they need more veggies and less insects. I just wanted to know what you guys think and any suggestions to help her. She is mostly active and exercises almost everyday. Her diet consists of crickets and veggies like collards, mustard greens, and watercress. Her cage is cleaned weekly with dawn dish soap and vinegar water solution. Her tank is 50 gallons and is 36 W 18 D 18 H. Her UVB is replaced monthly and is 18 inch zoo med t8 15 watt. Her basking bulb is zoo med 150 watt double reflector. Cool side 80-90 f basking side 90-100 f. Humidity is 45-30, monitored with digital hygrometer/thermometer and I have another one in the middle that isn't digital. Substrate is carpet but I plan on replacing it with sand mat. Her lights go on at 6AM and off at 6PM. Here is a picture of her setup (don't mind the duct tape the door is broken 😓) and the jaundice on her belly
16530536366931012857520955236310.jpg
16530536995982734478935600133241.jpg

Attachments

• 16530533916298780677107190862079.jpg
    16530533916298780677107190862079.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 126

Meghan

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Valkyrie
Hello everybody
I had my beardie for about 3 years now. I noticed yellow on my bearded dragon, Valkyries tummy about a year ago. I thought it was Yellow fungus so we took her to the vet as soon as possible. They were inexperienced and had no clue what they were doing (they did not even test to make sure it was YF) and sent me home with chlorhexidine solution and oral probiotics. A few weeks later the "yellow fungus" comes off in a shed. A few months later it comes back on her belly AND gums. I now knew this was not yellow fungus and instead jaundice. Yesterday I took her to a vet. He seemed very knowledgeable and experienced and told me he was concerned it was fatty liver disease. He recommended oxbow herbivore + carnivore supplements, more water, and referred us to another exotics vet for blood work to confirm it was fatty liver. However he told she needs MORE protein??? I was confused since I thought they need more veggies and less insects. I just wanted to know what you guys think and any suggestions to help her. She is mostly active and exercises almost everyday. Her diet consists of crickets and veggies like collards, mustard greens, and watercress. She goes outside everyday and her food is dusted with calcium twice a week and reptivite once a week. Her cage is cleaned weekly with dawn dish soap and vinegar water solution. Her tank is 50 gallons and is 36 W 18 D 18 H. Her UVB is replaced monthly and is 18 inch zoo med t8 15 watt. Her basking bulb is zoo med 150 watt double reflector. Cool side 80-90 f basking side 90-100 f. Humidity is 45-30, monitored with digital hygrometer/thermometer and I have another one in the middle that isn't digital. Substrate is carpet but I plan on replacing it with sand mat. Her lights go on at 6AM and off at 6PM. Here is a picture of her setup (don't mind the duct tape the door is broken 😓) and the jaundice on her belly View attachment 70469 View attachment 70470
Forgot to mention everytime she sheds it always gets stuck. And sorry I could not get a good photo of her gums.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Sorry to hear about your dragon-- the belly looks like shed coming on- please get your uvb placed in the tank or unobstructed - T 8's are not strong enough to go thru screen - distance should be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor - and they don't need to be changed out for 6 months I recommend 5

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom