fat beardie??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hicks08

My beardie is almost 2 years old and we have been feeding her a lot better recently.. crickets with calcium usually 1 or 2 feedings a day... usually just 1... however many she will eat in 10 min. and a salad every day. Is this the right way to feed her?! She looks like she is getting fat (mainly her stomach)!!! :?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

For an adult, they only need around 40-50 crickets or feeders per week. So, if you are feeding that much daily then she is getting a little too much food. Continue with the greens & veggies daily but limit the protein since she is finished growing.
Do you know how much she weighs?

Tracie

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
Bearded dragons are prone to obesity. Just because she will eat it doesn't mean she should. Try about 70% of her diet being greens and veggies- I just do a handful once a day. Limit the live feeders to a few times a week and let her out as much as possible to exercise. This should help her get into shape.

hicks08

Original Poster
ok thanks for the replies :) i will limit her amount of crickets... cause she goes crazy and eats like 30 at a time!! so i will deff. cut back :) thanks again

lemmons

mmm, think i may have been feeding mine a little too much then... but they always seem so hungry... jumping at the box of crickets as i put it in and scrabbling at the front of the tank when they know its feeding time like i starved them or something... they've been going through 2-3 boxes of crickets a week (i've two adults)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The average number of live feeders per week for an adult is variable, but usually between 30-50 weekly depending on what type of feeder you are giving. They need less feeders if you are using superworms as a staple, but more feeders if you are giving leaner sources.
A combination of a couple of different feeders is good so they can get a little variety & protein with some fats, also.

Each dragon is different so you need to learn how much to feed to maintain your dragon's weight.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom