Fat Albert, our baby beardie is going downhill

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatAlbert

Fat Albert isn't eating. My brother's dragon had the exact same thing happen too, and eventually died I'm sad to say. His eyes are closed all day and he's refusing food. We've had suggestions on this forum before about what was happening. So far, we have tried the UV light and treating coccidia. Fat Albert has been in a separate tank from the dragon that died :( Both the dragons started holding their breath, which is very strange for Fat Albert. He only started doing it after the other dragon died. After trying so much, I am starting to think that maybe bearded dragons are much harder to raise than everyone says they are :( The cage has a reptisun 10.0. 105 in the basking spot 75-80 on the cool side, and 70 at night. He is offered veggies everyday along with crickets. He has fresh water. It's not relocation stress because he has been with us for about 3 weeks now, and he has been great until now.

Please help. What could it be?

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
Sorry to hear he isn't feeling well. Maybe if you can answer a few questions we can help you out. How long ago was he treated for the Coccidia? Is he still being treated? How old is Albert? Are you dusting the crickets? How often? Have any other changes been made recently?

Hello,

I am very sorry to hear about Fat Albert! It sounds like he might have parasites, possibly transferred from the other dragon. Can you describe your current setup? Are you aware if Fat Albert got in any scuffles with the other dragon? I would suggest getting a fecal exam done. So just keep an eye on him and i really hope he'll turn out okay. :)

Regards,
MarshallBeardie

FatAlbert

Original Poster
He has calcium dusted on his crickets every day. He is about 6-7 weeks old. We treated him for coccidia for 10 days, which ended two days ago with an antibiotic and gave him soy yogurt to replace his good biotics. We never had him and the other dragon together; they have been in separate tanks since day one. His enclosure is a square-ish tank with his food and water bowls on the cool side and he has a hide on each side as well. He also had a bridge thing that goes up closer to the UV light. The hide on the warm side is under the basking light, so he can climb on top of it if he wants.

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
I'm stumped. I will say that the treatments can sometimes take a lot out of them. As you must already know since you gave the yogurt. We have a member on here that would probably be able to help. She is great :D If anyone can get your little one on track she can. her username is Drache613 and her name is Tracie. I would PM her in case she don't see your thread. Keep us posted. I will say a little prayer for Fat Albert tonight.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are using the Reptisun 10 tube bulb, & not a compact/coil right?
What are you measuring the temperatures with?
Is the basking light you are using a bright white light or a daytime/bluish tint type of light?
The medication he took for coccidia was it Baycox, Albon, or something else & what was his dose? How much does he weight?
It sounds like he may have been overmedicated possibly, but not sure. What is his appetite doing is he eating at all right now?

Tracie

FatAlbert

Original Poster
He has the tube bulb since I read an article about compact bulbs having the potential to blind them. The basking light is bright white; there is no blue tint to it. He had Baytril as his antibiotic and was taking one drop a day, followed by the soy yogurt 6 hrs. later. He weighs about 10 grams now. He is still not eating, but we have mixed up a rescue mix called Carnivore with water and he will drink that; it at least gets him his nutrition and calcium.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great, I am glad you are using the tube bulb of the Reptisun 10 rather than the compact/coil light.
The Baytril may have been too much for his system. The dragons that small sometimes don't do well on medications early on. He was on Baytril & a medication for coccidia also? Which medication did he have for coccidia?
Are you still giving him the medication right now or did that end? Continue giving the soy yogurt daily, to help his tummy out. The carnivore care is excellent, so do give that to him daily also since he is not eating right now.
How are his colors doing?
What type of thermometer are you using to measure his temperatures?
Please let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

FatAlbert

Original Poster
My poor Albie is the same. We have taken him off of his bayril and have continued to feed him carnivore food mixed with soy yogurt. I gave him a pedialyte bath today and he seemed to like it. He drank some of it and some plain water we use a probe to measure temps. His colors are good he is beautiful and today he was a little lighter. Tomorrow we get his stool sampl back! I am anxious and want to know what is wrong with my little guy. I feel so hopeless and feel so very bad for him.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Is he basking any now?
Let us know how he is doing & what the fecal results are. At least his colors look better today.
Keep trying to give extra oral fluids right now, to help with hydration status.
I hope he is feeling better soon.

Tracie

FatAlbert

Original Poster
We got the results today... He has a parasite and we are getting medicine for that. I have him another pedialyte bath and he seemed to like it again. He ate two crickets today!! And we will get him started on his medicine. We did give him his carnivore food along with the two crickets. He is basking and will move around a little bit. Which is good? Thanks for your help.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great he is doing a little better. Too bad he has parasites.
What is the dose of the meds he is on? Be sure to give a probiotic daily such as non dairy soy yogurt of acidophiliz to help out his tummy while he is on meds.
The carnivore care is helpful for him & will give him great nutrition, too.
Let us know how he is doing. Also, try to keep the tank around 80 overnight to help boost his immune system.

Tracie

FatAlbert

Original Poster
We mix the yogurt with his carnivore food. And would a black night light be ok for night time? I don't know the exact dosage but will have it on Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom