Fans of Tub/Sterilite Enclosures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

esn

Hatchling Member
Who uses plastic tubs like sterilite as enclosures? Not just for beardies. I've got some great setups with better humidity control with sterilite tubs for snakes, geckos, amphibians, etc. I use a heat knife to cut out rectangles and hot glue screen door mesh for vents, which is cheap and heat resistant.

I've also found great tubs going up to 3 feet by 2 feet for growing reptiles and ball pythons. I've seen some 30-75 gallon tubs as well. I'm using a 30 gallon as a temp for my adult dragon with clamp lamps, works great. I find that with a little bit of looking you can usually find a tub to fit any dimensions of a tank, for cheaper and without the added stress of glass reflections. I recently saw some great 75 gallon rubbermaid tubs the size of any normal 75 gallon tank that looked like it would be perfect for outside enclosures in warm weather areas. I'm a big fan of plastic over glass to reduce stress in my herps. The only ones with glass tanks are my adult dragon and axolotls! Looking at converting old cabinetry/entertainment centers into multiple vivariums, but that's a bit in the future for now :D

I do use a temp gun and I know my husbandry for humidity levels. I hate it when reptile owners insist that reptiles "like" to see out and anthropomorphism stuff like that :puke: I love keeping my reptiles the way that they feel safest and the least stressed - and if that means I can't see them through the sides, so be it! I've worked with some awesome frog species that do best when not kept in clear enclosures - the insecurity of glass or see through anything kills them off from stress in a very short period of time. Also, I must admit that I do love not having to mist every three seconds for the more humid-kept species.

I wish they made them 8 feet long and 4 feet wide :lol: The plastics companies are missing out on a very big market in herp keeping! I might start suggesting new dimensions for their molding. Monitor and tegu sized plastics, anyone? It'd save a lot of extra weight from wood - the soil is heavy enough!

Got any great tubs to work with? Perfect sizes for your homemade racks? Interesting configurations for larger critters? Beardie tub love? Who needs expensive glass death traps?

kFitz

Hatchling Member
I know for my hedgehog I have two tubs connected by a 4" wide pvc pipe. I used a heat knife to cut out a hole that just fit the pipe, then hot glue gunned around the pipe to really secure it in place. I'm sure you could do that to make a bigger enclosure for tegus or whatnot, just use a bigger connecting pipe if needed. That way you can customize the shape of the cage, for example - to fit in the corner along the wall by making the tubs fit at a 90* angle.

esn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kFitz":2621gh2y said:
I know for my hedgehog I have two tubs connected by a 4" wide pvc pipe. I used a heat knife to cut out a hole that just fit the pipe, then hot glue gunned around the pipe to really secure it in place. I'm sure you could do that to make a bigger enclosure for tegus or whatnot, just use a bigger connecting pipe if needed. That way you can customize the shape of the cage, for example - to fit in the corner along the wall by making the tubs fit at a 90* angle.

I made sure to pass that on to my friend that would like to get a hedgehog in the future, and my friends that currently have one. They like the idea of the pvc attachment a lot. I don't know why I never thought of it. I personally can't do hedgehogs. I'm allergic even to them! Also, I've only ever held ornery ones who've poked me with their quills, after which I broke out in hives and wouldn't stop itching for hours. They're cute, but not for me. I'm more of a ferret person :)

I hadn't thought of making shapes other than a long run before. That's an interesting idea as well, and would be easy to do. I had been considering connecting multiple tubs to make a long run for my bearded dragon with multiple basking spots. She does well in her travel tub, and the type of plastic I've been using recently holds in heat incredibly well. These are very useful for animals that don't use height so much as length. I'm also considering experimenting with the long run idea with a colony of leopard geckos. These things will come together after I finish moving, though. In the long run, the expense of many tubs would be the same as multiple tanks, but so much more rewarding considering versatility and the amount of space that can be added! The only problem I ever have is when I misplace a heating lamp and melt down some of the hot glue keeping vents down!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom