Falkor is starting to wobble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
100526-2564336020.jpg

I know I just posted but he was holding his weight in his front legs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!! I had to share!!!!!

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
His appetite decreased. It’s like he wants to shed but can’t. He won’t eat anything with the serrapeptase in it but I’ll keep trying.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
What are you feeding him right now ? Is his mobility improving ? He may not need the serapeptase anymore and keep in mind that some dragons don't eat as much when going in to a shed. Any new pics of him ?

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
100526-7049272596.jpg

This is him from yesterday. He's still eating crickets (and by eating, only around 8-10 every other day despite being fed 2-3x a day) and an endive and butternut squash salad. Always dusted with calcium, vitamin dusting on fridays. He gets bathed once a day for a 10 minute span and dried well before put back into his tank.

His appetite has been down for a while but it has also been fluctuating. One day he ate 18, but then he didn't eat for a day and a half. His tail has been light for a solid week and a half and i'm wondering if his appetite is down because he can't shed since he's not growing as fast or what is going on. He will eat his supplement that the vet gave me to give to him, but only if there's nothing else in there with it.

His mobility is not improving. The vet did tell me that she thinks he may never regain his mobile coordination, so my little boy may always just be a little wonky. But as long as he's happy and healthy, I don't care if he can't control his legs like a normal dragon.

I thought I would reach out here first since you guys have all been so supportive and amazing with all this happening with Falkor, which is incredibly appreciated. But I'm also going to call my vet next week just to double check.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, poor little dude. For now it's important to get more of the supplement in him [ is it Carnivore Care ? ] so just offer it without the other stuff. At least he's eating SOME crickets, his appetite may come back yet. Can you get some silkworms or bsfl [ calciworms ] Can you post pics of his entire set up ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Is he able to hold himself up on his front arms still though, but just not have full use of his
back legs right now?
If he is having trouble shedding then he probably wont have much of an appetite for sure.
Is his beard regular color, or darkened?
Keep trying with his food & eventually he will be hungry again, hopefully. Does he drink
from his bath at all?
We are all pulling for him!

Tracie

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
Sorry for the delay in responding. HE ATE 34 CRICKETS TODAY!!!! I'm taking these steps as they come but he's seriously giving me a heart attack on daily basis. It looks like the top of his head is trying to shed, but if he hasn't been eating/growing, its going to be a while before it does. He is still getting his daily bath, and he doesn't drink in his bath, but before he goes in, I drip water on his nose and he drinks then. Plus he gets misted multiple times a day just in case, and has a dish of water in his tank. His beard isn't dark, and he sometimes holds himself up on his front legs, but he still has no ability in his back legs.

I haven't posted a pic of his habitat because I'm actually going to move him to a smaller tank. He's in a 40 gallon right now and its just too big for his lack of moving and climbing so I'm thinking of getting him a 10 gallon. Do you think that would be too much of a drastic change? I just want him to have a better environment, which means I think he needs a smaller one so he can get the right amount of heat and uvb. He's just still so small. He's 4 months old and weighs 25g and isn't growing quickly. My roommate's beardie is 3 months old and weighs almost 40g. I'm just nervous that my little love bug is struggling too much in that much space.

The main questions are, should I get him a 20 or a 10 gallon tank? He will also be moved to my room (which is the coldest room in the house cause I like it cold) so he will definitely need a night time heat source, but I also know with a smaller tank, I'll have to be careful about the wattage and stuff, so any advice about that would be helpful.

I'm hoping that Falkor continues to eat well. His appetite seems to be coming back in full swing, but I don't want to put all my eggs in this basket only to have something happen again. Hopeful, but also realistic. I understand that my little one has a virus that could potentially rear its head when I least expect it so I'm trying not to be super optimistic. One day at a time, one cricket at a time.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, Falkor ate a lot of crickets then. That is a good sign, it sounds like he at least has some
appetite back anyway. I wish he would regain some back leg mobility. I wonder if there is any
technical reason for him not to be using his back legs?
I would say a 20 gallon would be better. A 10 gallon is a bit too difficult to maintain the temperatures
in. I do understand you wanting to move him to a smaller tank. I don't think that a small change
will stress him too much. As long as you can use his tank decor, that would help him out so some
things would be familiar.
Keep up the great work with him. Usually, if you can get them upwards of 100 grams or more their
immune system begins to kick in & they take off. The first phase is the hardest because at the
moment, he doesn't have a strong immune system yet. The virus really takes hold a lot more easily
in the youngsters with underdeveloped immune systems.
Do you mist him outside of his tank, or inside of it? I would take him out of the tank to mist him so
it doesn't get too humid inside of the tank. Also, I would take the water dish out at night, too just to
ensure he doesn't fall asleep in it & drown.

Let us know how he is doing. We are all pulling for him!

Tracie

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
He ended up eating another 29 yesterday and 16 so far this morning but no poop yet. The vet thinks that the neurological damage done just means he may never regain his hind leg mobility but I’m more than ok with that if it means he lives and is otherwise healthy and happy.

I’m going to go with a 20 gallon tank then and keep my ho uvb but switch to a lower heat bulb wattage... he has a 150 I think right now but that might be too hot in a smaller tank. I’ll get him some new hiding things but keep his hammock, which he managed to crawl all the way on last night for bed time. So he does have mobility... it just looks like he’s trying to swim on dry land.

100526-1678272295.jpg

This is Falkor after eating his breakfast of 31 crickets. He had eaten only around 16 a day prior to yesterday.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Glad to hear of Falkor's increased appetite, that is progress. :) Definitely go with a 20 long, it's shorter and the uvb will be closer to him. You can use a rolled up towel for him to pull himself up on to for basking, that usually works well for dragons with mobility problems. Go Falcor ! :)

Oh, be sure not to feed him TOO many at once, you don't want to risk impaction in any way. and be sure he stays in the tank when his belly is full to let the heat digest his food. Spraying once a day is fine , it sounds like his drinking from the dropper so that's plenty.

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
100526-7236712016.jpg

He seems to be more used to his bath now. I think it's because I bought him a new bathtub!! He ate 47 total today, so not as drastic, but his appetite definitely seems to be closer to how it used to be up until about a month ago. He's going to the bathroom every day and it's normal, but I will definitely keep an eye on how much he's eating in one sitting so he doesn't get impacted!!

I'll look for the 20 long for him, but if not, I'll just have to deal with a 20 gallon that I can find. I will also try a rolled up towel for him... it should be a microfiber right? So he can't hurt his little claws? I'll also try to create other soft things for him. Hopefully he'll have an easier time and thrive more in a 20. I'll keep the 40 so he can grow into that one (which I hope he does one day). Unless there's another way for me to rig the 40 and shrink the space? I'll keep thinking about it to figure it out. Maybe if I line the bottom with a cardboard "lift"? He's only 27 grams right now, so cardboard should be able to support his weight (or lack thereof). But at least he gained a few grams so, I'm pleased...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Falkor is doing well now, he is really eating & he is gaining weight! I'm glad to hear he is going
to the bathroom daily & not getting impacted. Just keep giving oral fluids also, to help keep his
system hydrated.
The microfiber towels are fine to use. They are harder for them to get their claws caught in, yes.
At least he is getting used to his bath now.
You could technically partition off his tank now, a lot of people do that with youngsters. That is
totally up to you. The long tube bulb only needs to take up about half of the length of the tank,
leaving some portion of their tank where they can escape from the UVB if they would like to.

Keep us posted on him.
Tracie

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
Update on the little Falkor. He’s eating a ton still, going to the bathroom normally and is FINALLY shedding. He just shed part of his head today!!!! I did notice that his front right leg looks a little swollen but it also looks like it’s going to shed soon so I’m keeping an eye on it and him. He weighs 30g now and I just keep hoping we don’t have any more scares. His new low 20 gallon tank is going to get set up tomorrow so we will see how that goes!!

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
100526-2046231027.jpg

This is his new tank set up. Changes will be made depending on what the temps end up reading and how he adjusts. Where he is right now (back right corner) is reading at 95. Under the light is 120 (but I can’t find the 100w bulb I bought so it’s still the 150). I’m buying another 100 today. His t5 ho stretches the entire length of the back but he can hide under his tree bridge or get out of it if he wants to. His cool side is currently reading at 75, the middle is 80 but again, I JUST turned his lights on so I’ll check them again.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Falkor & his new home look great! I'm happy to hear that he finally shed, poor thing, I'm sure
he was itchy. LOL At least he is eating & is growing, too. :D
Be sure to lower those basking temperatures to the 110 max range so he doesn't get overheated.
That will be fine for the T5 to go the length of the tank because you have areas where he can get
out of the heat & UVB when he wants to. I hope he continues to improve for you, bless him!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom