Falkor is starting to wobble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
I think I spoke too soon. His appetite has suddenly decreased with no signs of shedding. I'm hoping that I'm just panicking due to his illness. He has a drop off appointment with the vet tomorrow so I guess we'll see what happens. I know his recovery isn't a 100% guarantee but I am still hoping that he pulls through. He doesn't seem to have the same level of response that he did on his hind foot. He has also been acting lethargic lately and just stays in one part of his tank. He got a soak this morning and he didn't even do his initial "panic" when he first gets into the water, which he does EVERY time and until he realizes he's ok. I'm terrified that he's not going to make it but again, I know anything can happen, especially with this virus. Maybe his coccidia levels are back up? I don't know. I guess I'll know after his visit tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh poor guy! Let us know how the vet visit goes for him.
You don't see any signs of shedding? That can cause a big decrease in appetite.
Has his beard been dark in color at all, or is he just lethargic then? I hope that he pulls through.
It's so difficult to know exactly what is going on, but hopefully his immune system will get stronger
eventually.
Keep us posted on Falkor, we are all pulling for him.

Tracie

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
No signs of shed, beard isn’t dark either. He’s actually never bearded, not once. He’s just a sweet boy. Tracie, you had mentioned sending me a link for liquid serrapeptase, would you still be able to send it to me? I’m going to create a cocktail of that and the milk thistle in baby food. I’ll do anything to help him. I felt so bad this morning since I had to wake him up to bring him to the vet. He was so mad at me

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Is he still mad? Poor thing, it's heart breaking when they are not feeling well. How is he doing
this evening? Did the vet's appointment go well? That is amazing he has never bearded at you.
It sounds like he is a good boy then! :D
Sure, I can send you a link for the liquid serrapeptase, too. Maybe it will help him out, along
with the milk thistle, also.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
Well, the vet appointment went well. I never got a call, but his regular vet also does surgeries so I think her schedule was completely swamped, and she normally has been very good about calling to keep me informed of anything that is going on with him that she's found, or any concerns. She said that Falkor is doing VERY WELL!!!!! She has a slight hope that the virus may have just run its course since he's gained 7 grams since she last saw him. I'm not sure but I didn't think the virus would just go away, at least not normally. It only ran its course negatively, except in rare cases? But either way, she said that he's doing really well and looks very good for a little guy who has struggled so much. She thought that there was a good chance that he'd never regain his original motor abilities due to the neurological damage, but did recommend acupuncture if I was willing to try it. She also gave him a food supplement powder to feed to him twice a day to help out. She thought he was just constipated. OF COURSE.

Thank you for sending the link. I will order it asap and see if i can add his milk thistle and the serrapeptase to his supplement. He likes the supplement a lot and ate it with gusto and then proceeded to eat 3 crickets, so I'm hopeful! He got a nice long soak this morning, and my roommate is going to give him another one later today. This little guy is so sweet but seems to like giving me a heart attack at any chance he gets!!!!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good to hear that he's doing all around pretty well now. :) If he has ADV, he just has it always. It does not even show symptoms in some dragons, other dragons never make it past a few weeks.

BTW, 2 baths a day are excessive, was this recommended ? You risk the chance of him getting chilled and his scales being wet too much, it's never a good thing especially a long soak. If he needs hydration, add it to anything you give him with the syringe. If he's constipated, offer some baby food squash or sweet potato, applesauce and a few drops of honey.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Sarah,

You are welcome for the link. How is Falkor doing today?
At least he is finally gaining some weight now. I hope he continues to improve. It may be a
slow progression, but they can really surprise us sometimes, too. He has a lot of fighting spirit
in him, too. :D
Keep us posted on him. They love making us worry constantly about them.

Tracie

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
Well, he was diagnosed with it about 6 weeks ago, maybe that’s what she meant about it running it’s course? That he’s not gonna get worse but also not better. She did say two baths a day for the time being just to help with his constipation but i will look into sweet potato and apple sauce. Organic and unsweetened for the apple sauce I assume though right?

What about the acupuncture idea? I mean it couldn’t hurt anything (except my wallet) but it also may help him with his nerve issues?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I don't know if acupuncture could help but you probably couldn't get a beardie [ a young one ] to sit still for it. I doubt it would help because it doesn't help in the major neuro-muscular diseases in humans.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The applesauce needs to be unsweetened yes, & it is usually pretty effective along with the
sweet potato blended in.
I have heard of some trying alternative methods. Acupuncture wouldn't hurt but not sure how
effective it would be, but it might be worth trying.
Let us know how he is doing!

Tracie

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
100526-6338172331.jpg

We’re doing better today and just hanging out watching football (which he’s not sure about) lol but he’s happy and warm up my sleeve. He ate 12 crickets for lunch so his appetite seems to be coming back!!!! He’s taking his supplement twice a day and seems to like it cause he eats it right up. I’m dropping back to one bath a day since his appetite spiked but we’ll see. Baby steps! Always baby steps!!!

I don’t think I’m going to go for acupuncture. I think I’m going to stick with the serrapeptase and milk thistle with his supplement and maybe some applesauce.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is wonderful news he is doing a bit better. I know it's slow, but it is progress! :D
He looks pretty comfortable there also. Did his team win? LOL
At least he seems to like the supplements, too & will take them willingly. Hopefully his
appetite will continue to increase now. Be sure to keep us posted on him, we are all pulling
for him!

Tracie

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
His team did win, though I don't think he enjoyed my level of excitement over the victory. I ordered the serrapeptase and extra syringes, but got it with out any flavoring so hopefully the applesauce will come through more and help mask the milk thistle. I've realized that he has his good days and his bad days. Yesterday his front feet seemed to hold on to my finger more than they did before, but this morning not so much. Again, baby steps. He has managed to get on to his little corner hammock by himself, which he seems to like hanging out on and under lol.

I would like to figure out some other stuff in his habitat that would be easy for him to climb on and off of. I don't want him to fall off and hurt himself or end up landing on his back when I'm not home (which is my biggest fear). I was thinking of getting another hammock to put up lower to the ground of his tank, but I'd like to try to give him other stuff to sort of climb on and stuff. If you have any ideas that would be fantastic!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great, I'll get it out to you on Tuesday, no problem at all. I sure hope it helps him out some,
too.
If you did use hammock just be sure it isn't a mesh one, as they tend to catch their claws in
them often. As you mentioned keep it close to their ground to help him avoid falling. Did you
lower his basking lights & everything accordingly, so he gets the proper temperatures & UVB?
How is his eating today?
You can make ramps out of cardboard covered with soft fleece or towels, so he wont hurt himself
while you are gone.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
I haven't lowered his heat and uvb yet (inch wise) since I'm considering getting him a 20 gallon tank for now, still keeping the uvb I have (the repitsun HO 5.0) and his 150 watt heat lamp, but I'm concerned the 150 watt will be too hot in a 20 gallon. But I think a 20 gallon for him right now is the right size for him heat/uvb wise especially since his mobility isn't 100%. If I don't end up getting him a 20, I'll need to figure out how to lower everything inside his tank so he gets proper lighting and stuff. For now I'll try to build him some gentle ramps out of cardboard and towel, and no, his hammock is the natural material one.

He didn't eat yesterday, but had his supplement. Uphill battle this one, I'm telling you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom