Falkor is not being very friendly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a baby Beardie named Falkor. Whenever I put my hand near him he hisses and puffs up his beard, he even even bit me once. I am very calm with him and gentle, he doesn't like to be picked up the best I can do is gently stroke his back and he still hisses the whole time. I did get a suggestion to put one of my t-shirts in his tank so he could get used to my smell, I did that and he does bask on it.

I was wondering if anybody had any ideas or suggestions on what I could do to get him used to me, I don't want to stress him out. I've only had him since X-mas eve and I know it takes them awhile to adjust to their new home. He is eating and pooping fine.

Thanks for any input :)

SierraandRhonda

Hatchling Member
The best thing to remember is whoever is the most stubborn wins. If he is a biter I would put some gloves on, don't do it for long, but everyday at the same time reach in his cage and touch him a little. Try to do this without being too threatening, and jerking motions and he will be a little freaked out. The trick is not to give up. He doesn't want to be your friend right now, but maybe down the road he will be. Be persistent! Good luck! Let us know how it goes

FalkorsMommy

Original Poster
Thanks!

I do have gloves. I will plan on petting him right when I come home from work every day. Hopefully he will get used to that routine. I'll keep you posted.

pimmsoclock87

Hatchling Member
When putting your hand in just go slowly and not from above, gently stroke him. he should come round eventually if you keep trying.

good luck

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Yeah go slow at first. I dont know about the glove idea i know they can and will bite if they are very scared or just plain mad. Id think the glove would be scary. Can you hand him food when you reach in to get him and he opens his mouth? Thats how i got our bobble to stop hes was a little scared guy but wasnt afraid to try and bite. And if you can take him out anyways and pet him. Did his bite hurt? If he bites you dont set him down or put him back in his viv because hes won. They are smart little buggars.

FalkorsMommy

Original Poster
His bite did not hurt at all, it was like a little tap on my finger, he didn't latch on or anything. He doesn't like to be picked up, he squirms a lot and I hold him for a few seconds and put him down. I really don't want him to hurt himself trying to squirm free.

I think he will come around soon. I just have to be super slow, he will let me pet his beard but as soon as I move my hand away and he thinks I am going to do something else he hisses and puffs up again. Last night I was petting his beard and he put both of his front feet on my finger.

I will try feeding him salad tonight by hand, I have a feeling he will take it. He loves his salad. I would try giving him crickets by hand but he is so small that the crickets he is getting are really tiny.

FalkorsMommy

Original Poster
Update on Falkor!

He is doing much better. Today he let me pick him up and hold him, he did hiss a little. He let me rub his back and pet his beard and he sat on my hand for awhile. I picked him up a second time to wipe some food off his face with a wet washcloth. He bit the washcloth once, but then he let me wipe his face. Looks like he is starting to come around little by little :D

FATBOYDADRAGON

Hatchling Member
Hello
Just give falkor time he/she will come around.
My newest boy was purchased on 9/11/2009
He was 2 weeks old when purchased.
This little brat would bite, hiss, blackbeard .any time you got near him.
I stayed on him ,persistant ,same routine daily.
Now he loves being held .
ON nice sunny days TE-BOY and i go on a walk about in the back yard.
One thing i think that helped get him use to me is during bath time
i keep my hand in water and place it under his front legs.
I think he finally ackowledges that i will not harm him.
Just be patient.
My first Dragon FATBOY was never like this and at first i thought i
got me a little terriorist :wink: instead of a dragon.
Welcome to B/D .org and there are very knowledgable people here
to guide you through your times in need.
Mike D.

SierraandRhonda

Hatchling Member
It has been awhile since I looked at this thread. I am glad to hear Falkor is slowly coming around. How has Falkor been lately?

FalkorsMommy

Original Poster
Falkor is still trying to be a tough guy/girl. He bit me pretty good the other day (I had gloves on), I've been handling him every day.

Angiecountrygirl

Juvie Member
Hello. I just noticed your post and wanted to say "what a great name". My little girl's name is Falkor too (I thought she was a he when I got her in August, lol).
The 1st thing I would suggest is when you do put your hand in the tank, place your hand at the bottom w/ your palm up (that way you don't look like you're coming at him). Give it time, and before you know it, he will wander over and walk right up your hand too your arm, that's what my girl does. It takes a while, but he'll come around. Also, I would get a larger piece of collard green (I usually break it up so little I wouldn't dream of holding a piece that small in my hand while feeding her, lol) and shake it so it wiggles... she would come over and grab it from my hand - then she started to realize I'm the one that gives her food. Now we have a great relationship and it didn't take long... so I wish you luck, it will all work out. :mrgreen:

FalkorsMommy

Original Poster
That is so funny, you have a Falkor too :)

I just changed over his lighting, removed his food and rubbed under his chin and he didn't freak out. I have some big leaves of Bok Choy, tomorrow I will try feeding him by hand. He has eaten out of my hand before, smaller pieces. I'll let you know how it goes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom