DSCF3394.jpg

DSCF3396.jpg

DSCF3397.jpg

DSCF3398.jpg

DSCF3400.jpg

DSCF3401.jpg

DSCF3402.jpg

DSCF3403.jpg

I think it is pretty kewl, but i would really love comments? THANKS GUYS this by the way is my first rock wall,
the basking spot is coming later, tomarrow(in 24 hours i will have pics of basking spot)

but really would love comments

sorry i kno it is a lot of pics but i just trying to show everything to you =)

tell me what you think guys

i did take off that top thing because it might be too weak when she gets bigger but otherwise it still the same plus the new basking spot and hide witha food spot under it for her letuce

Doesj

Hatchling Member
looks nice ! but I'm a bit concerned about the foam type.

Is it high density foam? Because the foam looks like the kind you can squeeze and it get's it shape back. This is not rigid foam and I'm not sure it will become solid enough, even after grouting...

jargonchipmunk

Juvie Member
that's "Great Stuff" expanding foam. Once it cures, it's just as solid as styro, the outside of it just looks wet still, but once you carve into it it looks just like any other rigid foam. It's erm... "great stuff" to use lol. I have a can at my place. A lot of frog owners make the entire back of their vivs out of this stuff and then carve it and press coco fiber onto it to make it look natural.

Doesj

Hatchling Member
jargonchipmunk":c6cb8 said:
that's great stuff. Once it cures, it's just as solid as styro, the outside of it just looks wet still, but once you carve into it it looks just like any other rigid foam. It's erm... "great stuff" to use lol. I have a can at my place. A lot of frog owners make the entire back of their vivs out of this stuff and then carve it and press coco fiber onto it to make it look natural.

I know the great stuff foam, but i'm talking about the base foam used, not the added one from the spraycan.

jargonchipmunk

Juvie Member
Doesj":fd9e2 said:
jargonchipmunk":fd9e2 said:
that's great stuff. Once it cures, it's just as solid as styro, the outside of it just looks wet still, but once you carve into it it looks just like any other rigid foam. It's erm... "great stuff" to use lol. I have a can at my place. A lot of frog owners make the entire back of their vivs out of this stuff and then carve it and press coco fiber onto it to make it look natural.

I know the great stuff foam, but i'm talking about the base foam used, not the added one from the spraycan.

ooooooooh I see. :D Yeah I can't tell. It does kind of look like the type that might cause your grouting to sort of "implode" if pressed too hard, but pics can be deceiving sometiems? Hopefully not, that would be a lot of nice looking work to go to waste.

chancellor91

Juvie Member
Original Poster
it is the foam that you can press pretty hard and it will dent it? it was much eassier to work with, and my lizard has climbed on it already, she doesnt break it, so it seems fine to be, the grout will fill in the little pcokets and it should begreat? i dont get it, this is what tracie told me to use, and i figured it would work fine since my lizard cant break it, she crawled on it this morning, it plenty strong to hold her, but yes if u press it pretty hard it will dent? its okay i dont plan on her putting a couple pounds of pressure on one spot she is still very tiny, but it can support a brick? should be strong enough if it can do that right? and what do you mean the grout will implode? i dont get it

jargonchipmunk

Juvie Member
I think the concern is that if the styro is flexible, then it will hold a lot of weight and be fine in that regard, but the grout will crack in any places the styro bends. If you get enough layers of grout and sealer on top of the styro, nothings gonna bend it so it won't matter lol.

chancellor91

Juvie Member
Original Poster
ya thats what i was planing on so how many applications of grout and sealer should i put in it? cause i want it to be super strong

jargonchipmunk

Juvie Member
on regular styrofoam I put three coats. a VERY thin coat to get in everywhere followed by increasingly thicker coats. On some weaker areas I use 4, so you might be better off putting 5 on it to be safe. The sealer brings things tofether but the grout is what really makes it strong. I use three coats of sealer.

jargonchipmunk

Juvie Member
I found Mod Podge at Hobby Lobby. Fairly cheap. Just put it in a spray bottle, dilute it with water until it'll spray out of the nozzle and use a cheap spray bottle as a makeshift airbrush. Works fantasically. Lots of thin coats is the key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom