Fake rock structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

techdave

Juvie Member
I going to build a fake rock structure, what do I use for the covering? I heard that I should use a non-sanded grout for the whole thing. Is that right?

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Many use non-sanded grout, but my personal experiences have told me that a mixture of sanded/non-sanded grout is ideal for strength, traction, and ease of application. I typically change the mixture as I go, with the first two coats being a 25-75 mixture of sanded to non-sanded grout so it can be thinned down. The 3rd and 4th coats are a 50-50 mixure, and the 5th coat is usually a 75-25 mixture in high traffic areas for increased strength and traction.
I rarely use 100% sanded, as its difficult to spread smoothly.

I typically wait about 6hrs between coats, and I only start adding color to the structure on the 3rd coat, alternating between colored and non-colored coats so I know where I have been. Once finished, I give it 3-4 days to fully dry, then seal with mod-podge.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
I have made enough to know how not to do it :p. Made plenty of mistakes, but the ones that worked out look good by my standards. Honestly, the beardie isn't really going to care if it looks perfect or not...they are just going to be happy that you made one for them. So just take your time, and have fun, and your dragon will be appreciative regardless of how it looks.
Honestly, I have a ton of fun making these things...which is why I make so many. Most of them are just sitting around not being used. Once you make a few, you'll be hooked!

Oh, and the last piece of advice I can give is to start small. Do a simple platform at first, then once you have tried a few techniques, go for something more complicated.

Here is a pic of my male dragons viv. One of the first structures I ever made is on the right, and one of the most complicated is on the left. He loves them both.
IMG_0374.jpg

techdave

Juvie Member
Original Poster
They look awesome!! I can't wait to get started on mine. I should hopefully start it in a week or two.

Hey All, Here's some pics of Norberts new Viv. It's 4' x 2' x 2' with sliding glass doors, 3 Light system on timers, and my second rock sculpture "Dragon Mountain" I can't take a lot of credit for the inclosure because it was an old entertainment center I revamped but the rock sculpture and feed tray was all my doing. You can check out the video here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjTchJHFhbU
I've made a total of 3 rock sculptures. they take a while to do but i've really enjoyed making them.
6601623_orig.jpg

Notice the seams at the bottom? The entire "dragon head" is removable for safety and for easy cleaning.
9516594_orig.jpg

2949261_orig.jpg

9624067_orig.jpg

Here's the one I made for a co-worker.
628018_orig.jpg

1624865_orig.jpg

The Feed Tray is removable for easy cleaning
4077457_orig.jpg

340300_orig.jpg

Actually it's just plane old styrofoam. the same as coolers are made of. then sculpted into the shape you want and then covered in grout. after the grout cures, it's coated in 3 to 5 coats of sealer.

I use "bullseye" shellac from Lowes. it non-toxic and hypoallerginic. there are two ways to buy it. spray and brush on. I like using the brush on because it goes further and you can get thinker coats. I usually use 5 coats so that it makes the pieces more durable and easy to clean. Note....when building something to hold water, I use silicone. just smooth a layer of silicone on the areas where water will be standing. ***IMPORTANT*** once your piece(s) are done, let them cure for a couple of days before putting them in your Viv. That way all the fumes are gone and everything has cured. :)

thanks for all your help out of all the ones i have seen yours are some of the best two last questions if you don't mind liquid nails or glue gun to hold the foam together and what is the best kind of grout to use i just don't want my little guys to get sick or hurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nuochoakenperfume
Top Bottom